Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey people, I am new to Linux platform and have installed RHEL 6 on my computer. I have gone through different posts on websites regarding how to mount windows drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Help Required in Mounting of NTFS filesystem on RHEL6

Hey people,

I am new to Linux platform and have installed RHEL 6 on my computer. I have gone through different posts on websites regarding how to mount windows drive on to the Linux file system.
    Here are few results of my trial where results are slightly overwhelming for a guy like me:

1. Mounting NTFS file system using mount commandAs a su-)
    " $mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/MyFilesystem"

Output: error: unrecognised file system ntfs

2. I followed step by step instructions of installing Fuse and ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs but had no luck:

while using this command for the installation of for FUSE-0.9(which I guess prepares files for installation) I am getting this error :
    " Command use: ./configure --exec-prefix=/; make;make install"
    Error: "Checking Kernel source directory.../usr.src/kernels/2.6.32-71.e16.x86_64...Checking Kernel source version.......Not found "
    Configure error: cannot determine the version of the Linux kernel source.Please configure the kernel before running this script.

Woooh , as u can see my Linux version is mentioned in that message so can anyone lemme know whether this issue is because of the incompatibility of Fuse with my version of Linux or am I suppose to make some changes in the command itself.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated and if someone can help me in understanding what exactly is going then that would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks in advance !

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to first install the kernel-header and kernel-devel packages. Then you need to install the ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs packages. You don't need fuse because the ntfs-3g package installs the native ntfs-3g driver. The ntfs-3g package will create a link from /sbin/mount.ntfs to the actual mounter /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g so you can still mount using the ntfs type.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hey first of all thanks for the reply rubberman!
    I dunno if I am right here or not but I tried to install these .rpm packages 'kernel headers2.6.32-71.e16X86_64.rpm and kernel develop2.6.32-71.e16X86_64.rpm from my RHEL 6.0 DVD and while installation I got a response saying that these packages are already installed.
    So should I do a fresh installation or can u be a bit more specific with these packages

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Wooho

Hey sorry for the above Post rubberman I think I had those packages already installed on my computers .
    I used the following command and I realized that I was not using mount -t ntfs-3g .... and was getting the error:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/FileMount

This worked like a charm

Once again thanks a lot!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try reinstalling them - assuming your current kernel is 2.6.32-71. If not, then you will need to get the correct ones online. Anyway, the command to reinstall them would be "yum reinstall package-name".
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I suggest you change your distro to................ anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by victim_of_EMwaves View Post
    mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/FileMount
    This is the shorter way to do it:
    Code:
    ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mediaFileMount

Just Joined!

Thanks

@dE_logics: No I am happy with this version and would check out few of its features first.
    @unlimitedscolobb: Thanks for the short command
    @ rubberman : thanks man I will keep that in mind for future but as of now everythin looks kind of okay unless I do something wrong with the OS

Once again thanks everyone....catch u later with some more issues !