Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Fedora 15 installed in my PC and I use it both for gaming and work. Now the open source nouveau driver was working fine, until I had to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question switching between nvdia and nouveau drivers

I have Fedora 15 installed in my PC and I use it both for gaming and work. Now the open source nouveau driver was working fine, until I had to install the nvidia driver so that I could play torcs, as I was unable to get good graphics in nouveau. Now, when using the nvidia driver, the gnome shell has become too slow and sometimes unworkable, though games run good. Is there any way so that I can use both the drivers and switch between them when needed (say use nvidia when gaming and nouveau while at work) without uninstalling and reinstalling them?

PS: when I boot up, the grub shows two options, one is the fedora with latest kernel and other is the old kernel. Is there a possible way that I use nouveau with old kernel and nvidia in the new kernel? This will really help in switching games and work.

oz
    forum.guy
    The two drivers will probably conflict with one another if installed on the same Linux system, so I'm thinking you will need to run one or the other. You can check the following wiki articles for details about using the nouveau and nvidia drivers:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

Both articles are Arch related, but the basic concepts should apply for other distros.

You might be able to setup a dual-boot system, one system using nouveau and the other using nvidia, then boot into whichever system you want running at the time.

Maybe someone else will offer up a better way for using both drivers.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to completely remove the nouveau driver before you install the nvidia proprietary driver. So, boot into runlevel 3, remove both drivers, reboot into runlevel 3, and then install the nvidia driver. Which nvidia driver are you trying to install?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!