Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi, I recently installed RHEL 6 on my machine (forgive the flavour: I don't have much of a choice in the matter). The OS has been unable to detect my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eth0 Problems; RHEL 6

Hi,

I recently installed RHEL 6 on my machine (forgive the flavour: I don't have much of a choice in the matter).

The OS has been unable to detect my Ethernet network. This was foreshadowed during the install, when I couldn't connect to the Redhat servers or to the time-sychronisation servers. (this isn't a hardware issue: I can connect to the Internet through Windows).

I'm not sure at what level the problem is occurring. lspci spits out (among other things):

Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
    This is the right controller.

ifconfig spits out:

Code:
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:960 (960.0 b)  TX bytes:960 (960.0 b)
    This is just the loopback address. There is no mention of eth0. Also, there are no network scripts under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for eth0.

Some other people seem to have this problem as well, but I can't find any solved threads. Please let me know if anything can be done. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Unfortunately, I don't see support for this device in the available standard kernel drivers. You should go to the Broadcom web site and see if they have a Linux driver for this device.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzed_bison
    there are no network scripts under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for eth0.
    Which interface scripts are there?

If your running a server then the network interfaces may not be labeled eth#.

Also if you run

dmesg|grep -i net

Does it show anything of interest?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

UPDATE: I booted into Ubuntu using a USB-key and I was able to surf the web. So I think this issue is pretty specific to the RHEL 6 install. It'd be cool if I could just "rip" whatever I need off Ubuntu and dunk it into my RHEL install. Is that possible? (long shot, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfTheory View Post
    Which interface scripts are there?

If your running a server then the network interfaces may not be labeled eth#.

Also if you run

dmesg|grep -i net

Does it show anything of interest?
    @ProfTheory: Here's the output from the dmesg command.

Code:
    $ dmesg|grep -i net
    Initializing cgroup subsys net_cls
    NET: Registered protocol family 16
    NetLabel: Initializing
    NetLabel:  domain hash size = 128
    NetLabel:  protocols = UNLABELED CIPSOv4
    NetLabel:  unlabeled traffic allowed by default
    NET: Registered protocol family 2
    NET: Registered protocol family 1
    audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
    SELinux:  Registering netfilter hooks
    Initializing XFRM netlink socket
    NET: Registered protocol family 17
    Initalizing network drop monitor service
    NET: Registered protocol family 10
    ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
    ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
    None of these look interesting to me (maybe they do to you?). Fyi, this is an RHEL 6 client install.

Also, list of files in the network-scripts directory:

ifcfg-lo
    ifdown
    ifdown-bnep
    ifdown-eth
    ifdown-ippp
    ifdown-ipv6
    ifdown-isdn
    ifdown-post
    ifdown-ppp
    ifdown-routes
    ifdown-sit
    ifdown-tunnel
    ifup
    ifup-aliases
    ifup-bnep
    ifup-eth
    ifup-ippp
    ifup-ipv6
    ifup-isdn
    ifup-plip
    ifup-plusb
    ifup-post
    ifup-ppp
    ifup-routes
    ifup-sit
    ifup-tunnel
    ifup-wireless
    init.ipv6-global
    net.hotplug
    network-functions
    network-functions-ipv6
    Last edited by bronzed_bison; 07-18-2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: (Added interface scripts + formatting)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What version of Ubuntu? The current version of Ubuntu uses a more current kernel than RHEL 6 and clones do, so it may well support this network chip set. The kernel of RHEL 6 is 2.6.32, and for Ubuntu 11, it is more like 2.6.36 or 38. There are significant differences between these kernels internally. You might be able to build the appropriate kernel driver for RHEL 6, but I can't say for sure without trying it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What version of Ubuntu? The current version of Ubuntu uses a more current kernel than RHEL 6 and clones do, so it may well support this network chip set. The kernel of RHEL 6 is 2.6.32, and for Ubuntu 11, it is more like 2.6.36 or 38. There are significant differences between these kernels internally. You might be able to build the appropriate kernel driver for RHEL 6, but I can't say for sure without trying it.
    Okay, so I went to Broadcom's website and followed their instructions (pg 28: no URLs for me, so www broadcom com/docs/support/ethernet_nic/Broadcom_NetLink-NetXtreme_DTM_306.pdf) (just fill in the two dots)
    (in short, as root, I installed the kernel, ran rpm and rpmbuild, and finally did a modprobe)

On pg 29, they mention that I need to run some ".sh" scripts as patches specifically for RHEL (these instructions weren't present in the README).

I have a feeling that these update scripts / patches are the final missing link, but I can't find them on the Broadcom website or on the web (they definitely weren't in the driver zip file).

Does anyone know what the commands in those scripts might be, so that I can run them?

@Rubberman: You're right about the difference in kernel versions ... but I don't know any way around it
    Last edited by bronzed_bison; 07-18-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: (forgot to respond to Rubberman)

Just Joined!
    UPDATE:
    I wrote to Broadcom and I'm awaiting a reply on the patches. I'm just wondering if I really need those.
    After installing the drivers, ifconfig -a shows both eth0 and lo. Here's the thing, though: In my "Network Connections" GUI, eth0 doesn't appear (it should, right?). I tried adding and configuring a "Wired Network" manually, but that doesn't seem to work. I wonder what's missing...

You probably need to restart the network stack, or simply reboot the system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You probably need to restart the network stack, or simply reboot the system.
    I did a "service network restart" and a reboot as well. Nothing...

Please post the output of ifconfig

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast