Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a total newbie to linux and my husband handed the connection prob with the modem to me. I have installed usb_modeswitch and your program - after I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Huawei E583C not finding pin - heeelllppp (Fedora15 Gnome3)

Hi,

I am a total newbie to linux and my husband handed the connection prob with the modem to me. I have installed usb_modeswitch and your program - after I found the can't read font fix, I thought I was set. But first had a prob with it not detecting GSM so I did noprobe - now it flashes a small screen saying "Modem responded ERROR while checking for pin". Then next box is" Failed connection". We don't have a pin with our modem. ( Even if it gave me an option of putting it in). And the modem works fine on windows but my husbands main program is linux.

Heeeeeeeeeelp

TY in advance,
    Lovi

Update - after reading more I created a sakis3g.log here is a copy - pastebin.com/n4878na2

Second update - After scouring the Internet more I tried to run it with shorewall disabled. Same error. I am also starting with noprobe, nostorage, interactive, and zenity

Hope this helps you more than it did me lol And TG for dos if I hadn't messed with it quite a bit I would have been at a total loss when hubby turned this over to me Smiley

After spending 2 5hr stints on this I have learned heaps but not how to fix problem yet. I swear my husband better take me somewhere nice for dinner when I finish this! Grin

Update - I have run and rechecked usb_modeswitch it is being seen as a modem as opposed to a mass storage device. So thats not the prob. ( time spent 1 5 hr stint and so far another 8 hrs). Shocked

Update - After a total of 13 hrs today I am throwing my hands up in the air and hoping someone here can help me out of my linux hole! Sad

Ok did one more thing - am totally unsure if the usbmodeswitch worked because of this line in the log -
    331 bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage

This is what I did -

To make it switch from the "storage" to "modem" mode you need the utility "usb_modeswitch".
    After that you "emerged"/installed it, edit the file "/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf"
    Check that you don't have already any other sections for "0x1446" (there weren't any as of now - if you already find such a section, that one might actually be better that the one I state).

So, now that you know 1) your "vendor" ID, 2) your "product" ID and 3) have edited "/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf" you can try to switch to the modem mode:
    usb_modeswitch -v 0x12d1 -p 0x1446 -H -s 5 -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf

if usb_modeswitch didn't work what do I do? When I ran it the first time and changed values it told me hopefully it was sucessfull or something like that.....heeeeeeeeeelp!!

Update - day 3 - tried usb_modeswitch again and it says Mode switch most likely succeeded. Bye. but when I check the modem is still listed as mass storage device ARRRRRRRRRRRRG
    Last edited by Lovi; 07-20-2011 at 03:28 AM.