Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two harddrives, Linux (FC3) and WindowsXP (which I almost never use) are on the primary drive, and the second is my main data drive. I also have an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

SCSI drive + SWAP partion

I have two harddrives, Linux (FC3) and WindowsXP (which I almost never use) are on the primary drive, and the second is my main data drive.
    I also have an 8GB SCSI drive, and decided to place the SWAP partition on it as the SCSI is of course much faster than the two ATA drives.
    One problem: Everytime i use parted or sfdisk to make a SWAP partition, and I reboot to use the new partition, suddenly it says the SWAP partition is either FAT32 or "no filesystem."
    The old filesystem on this drive was FAT32, do i need to zero out the drive? and also, is there some setting which points the kernel to the new SWAP partion?
    (note- i deleted the original SWAP partition, which was on the primary drive, through the Fedora Core rescue disk.)
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

try making the swapfs activating the swap manually:
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/hdb
    swapon /dev/hdb
    replacing /dev/hdb with the device

Linux Enthusiast
    thanks, that worked great.
    I would also like to mention to anyone else trying this that you need to use parted/sfdisk to create the swap partition first, then use the above commands. I tried just "mkswap /dev/sda" but that took the entire 8GB SCSI drive for swap, which is crazy, so I then made two partitions (an FAT32 and a n EXT3) and a swap partition to fill the remaining 1GB of the drive. I then entered "mkswap /dev/sda3" and "swapon /dev/sda3" Works great.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i was thinking that 8 gigs was a rather large swap file