OK, as most of you know, Windows sucks. Just had to get that off my chest. I'm new to this forum so bear with me.

I'm attempting to install RedHat 9.0 on my laptop (HP/Compaq Presario 2100, Intel Celeron 1.8ghz). I have 2 hard drives, one for Windows XP, and the other for my soon to be linux drive. I mounted my new drive, inserted Shrike Disc 1, and booted to cd; which worked just fine. One problem, when I was asked to check the disc or skip, my keyboard wouldn't respond. Three, 4, 5 times I tried, but it still wouldn't work. I began to think that maybe it was because I had no drivers on the new disk, but I knew I was wrong because I could still navigate through my BIOS.

After banging my head on the table for about 20 minutes, I decided that I would just load a clean version of Windows XP on the drive, and then run the installer, hoping the keyboard issue would be solved. But now an even more annoying problem has occurred. I can't boot from a CD. When I try, the light on the drive just keeps blinking and after about five minutes it boots from the hard drive. Funny thing is that when I mounted the other drive, it still does the same thing. I thought maybe there was something screwy in the BIOS (Phoenix 4.0 Release 6.0), so I flashed it, and updated the file (Version KE.MI.72). Still didn't work. In fact, when I insert the CD while Windows is running, it doesn't even recognize it, drive light still blinks. When I insert the Windows install disk, it goes through it's autoplay sequence asking about install, recovery whatnot. But when I try to boot from the disk it says "press any key to boot from cd", however when I do the drive just spins and nothing happens. I tried to update the DVD/CD-RW driver, but that did absolutely nothing.

I've kinda hit a brick wall. One of the error codes I get is "CDR104 - Door open Drive Q" or something like that. Obviously I don't have a drive Q, but that's what it says. Weird. Such a paradox.