Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Postfix with LDAP, Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Server on RHEL 5.5 whether Postfix without IMAP/POP3 server is possible?? Any other mail retrieval from remote?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

POSTFIX without IMAP/POP3

I have installed Postfix with LDAP, Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Server on RHEL 5.5
    whether Postfix without IMAP/POP3 server is possible??
    Any other mail retrieval from remote?

I can't really make out what your question is, but Postfix is a Mail Transport Agent, and is independent of the retrieval mechanism, e.g. IMAP and/or POP. Those latter two are the common means of remote retrieval, and even web-based access scenarios like Squirrelmail tend to rely on them.

But you say you've installed Dovecot, so it's not clear what you're trying to solve.

I run postfix/dovecot - 2 MX servers for my site
    in the most simple way possible - just for one user and all system stuff on server

postfix sends mail - from server system mails or ecards
    or if you need an smtp server, then your remote mail from your desktop with proper authentificaton and TLS
    if properly configured just that and no relay - mail transport OUT just for you and system

dovecot is the easiest way to have a mailbox for INcoming mail -. POP3 (or IMAP)
    just for you or a bunch of ppl
    in a most simple straightforward setup without mysql, etc

at home in my laptop I use evolution (for testing also kmail - bu talso thunderbid would be easily possible)

that is about as easy as you can make your mail server for both smtp and pop

unsure where your problem now is??

for example on my opensuse install -. the default install does ALL sending mail from server (WITHOUT remote mail) without any change in cofiguration
    then you optimize details using
    Postfix Configuration Parameters
    Postfix TLS Support
    Mail relay testing
    and Google for anything missing

mail retrieval instead of dovecot also could be Cyrus - I had that many years ago and am happy to have moved to a much more straightforward dovecot

whatever you do, keep it as simple as possible and secure then your postfix/dovecot mail server runs for years maintenance free