Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I install Linux to D Drive Hi i am using red hat Linux version rhel5 and i have installed windows 7 in c drive(Primary drive). Could you tell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool How do I install Linux to D Drive

How do I install Linux to D Drive
    Hi i am using red hat Linux version rhel5 and i have installed windows 7 in c drive(Primary drive). Could you tell me how to install linux in D drive which is a logical drive? I have tried installing custom install and selecting the first logical drive Sda5 and trying to install. When i did that it says i don't have enough space to install thoug i have 40 GB hard disk in D drive. I am using Sata H/disk. Kinldy help me.

Linux Guru
    Boot the Red Hat install disk. Log in as root user and enter the following command to get partition information to post here: fdisk -l(lower case Letter L in the command)

Just Joined!
    Hey yancek,
    Sorry for the mis communication, I have windows 7 installed but not the redhat. I can boot the redhat linux using cd but unless i install, i can't login as root user or can't find the partition information. Please guide me....

Linux Guru
    I've never used Red Hat so I can't give you specific instructions. Most Linux install CDs allow you to login as root using "su", "su -" without quotes and no password is usually needed. Try the fdisk command if you can log in as root. If that doesn't work, you will probably need to go to the Red Hat site to determine how to use root on the install CD.

Does the info below refer to a separate physical hard drive or just another partition?

i have 40 GB hard disk in D drive

D drive only exists in Windows. Only Windows is so retarded as to refer to the primary disk as the third one. Boot the Redhat CD, and run the installer. It should find all the drives and partitions on your system, and tell you which one currently has Windows installed on it, probably sda. Pick the other one, which is probably called sdb, and install Linux there. Done.

Just Joined!
    Thank you providing me an update on this. sda5,sd6 and so on... don't find sdb. so which mean i have one primary partition and rest is logical drive. So do i have install on sda5 ? sda5 shows 40 gb but while installing on sda5 for (/) says don't have enough space.

Just Joined!
    it may be possible that u have already created 3 primary partitions.

try to create a partition through windows to check if u can . .

I don't know if you can install to sda5 or not. I don't know how your drive is partitioned. You can boot from a Linux LiveCD, run gparted, and find the partitions on your drive, and the sizes. Right-clicking on a partition, then selecting Information, will give you the size and the free space on it. Or use fdisk -l, as suggested above. Without all that information, I can't help you further.