Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. It had win7 installed when I bought it from the store. I decided to install fedora 15 lovelock. I had to shrink my win7 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't boot fedora 15

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. It had win7 installed when I bought it from the store. I decided to install fedora 15 lovelock. I had to shrink my win7 so I would have enough room for fed15. Everything went fine with this and I booted with the live cd and installed fedora to hard disk using the net as a guide. Everything went find (so I thought). I used easyBCD to setup the dual boot thing. I rebooted and did get the choice of fedora 15 or win7 as a boot option. When I choose fedora the screen goes blank for a second or two and comes back to the boot options again. It does this every time. I can choose win7 and it works no problem. I then tried to boot the live cd again to reinstall but gives me an error of "cannot create directory /run file exists". and the screen goes dark. I have to use the power button to turn it off. What can I do to get fedora to work? I am new to linux so I may have went over my head with this. Many thanks.

Linux Guru
    So your EasyBCD bootloader program is failing. Maybe the entry isn't correct. Have you tried searching the neosmart site? When you boot and get the choice of Fedora or win7, is that the EasyBCD menu? When you installed Fedora, did you select the option to install the Grub bootloader to the Fedora partition? You should have, either to the /boot partition if a separate one was created or to the / partition of Fedora.

I don't know why you would get the error you posted trying to boot from the CD? Does this error appear immediately upon boot? Later? You do have the CD drive set to first boot priority?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    So your EasyBCD bootloader program is failing. Maybe the entry isn't correct. Have you tried searching the neosmart site? When you boot and get the choice of Fedora or win7, is that the EasyBCD menu? When you installed Fedora, did you select the option to install the Grub bootloader to the Fedora partition? You should have, either to the /boot partition if a separate one was created or to the / partition of Fedora.

I don't know why you would get the error you posted trying to boot from the CD? Does this error appear immediately upon boot? Later? You do have the CD drive set to first boot priority?
    I have searched neosmart (some) but haven't found anything yet.I couldn't tell you if I am looking at easybcd menu or not. I have never done this before and there is not mention of this on the display. The boot menu is just a black screen with my choices in white letters. Yes I did install grub bootloader on the / partition. The error does not come immediately. It goes through the blue screen (using the live cd) and a black box comes to the top left with the error. After a short while it goes to a very black screen. BTW I am going through easybcd's settings to see if I can either fix it or kill it. I'm figuring I'm looking at a total reload of both OS's.

Linux Guru
    I don't have EasyBCD installed so I can't check but the neosmart site below shows options for "Edit Boot Menu" and "Advanced Settings". You might take a look at those options but if you don't understand them, stop. You could try googling "modify easybcd.

Couldn't find much on changing entries. You could check this site, haven't done it myself so...?

Linux - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I don't have EasyBCD installed so I can't check but the neosmart site below shows options for "Edit Boot Menu" and "Advanced Settings". You might take a look at those options but if you don't understand them, stop. You could try googling "modify easybcd.

Couldn't find much on changing entries. You could check this site, haven't done it myself so...?

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki[/url]
    I found the problem. You was right it was easybcd's settings. I deleted fedora 15's entry and added another. I chose partition 4. Rebooted and it worked. I also found out I was given a copy of fedora 15 beta. So I went to work and downloaded the full version and did a new install. Everything works great and I still have my win7 to but I do not plan on using it. Thanks very much for your advice.