Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to linux and I am used to windows. How come when I download new software to m Red Hat 6 desktop they never create desktop icons ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop Icons

Hello,

I am new to linux and I am used to windows.

How come when I download new software to m Red Hat 6 desktop they never create desktop icons for me to open the software?

I am not sure if this is just specific to some of the software I have downloaded, I am doing something wrong, or this is just how it is.

For example I installed the putty rpm file and there is no where to access it besides the command line.

Thanks for the help!

No, this is quite usual in Linux. The philosophy of Linux is that you own your desktop and you alone decide what goes on it. No Linux installer creates icons on your desktop behind your back, the way Windows does

This does not mean that you can only access programs through the command line; it just means that you are responsible for putting the icon on your desktop if you want it there. You don't say what desktop you are using, but in most of them, a right-click will open a context menu that allows you to create a new shortcut. Browse to /usr/share/pixmaps to find a suitable icon.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com