Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hie all, I have installed RHEL 3 on VMware. I selected GUI start up during the installation. So now, everytime i start up Red Hat it will start in GUI. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Switching from xwindow to commandline

Hie all,

I have installed RHEL 3 on VMware. I selected GUI start up during the installation. So now, everytime i start up Red Hat it will start in GUI.

But how do I switch it to Command Line Interface ? I try using the shortcut key - CTRL + ALT + F7, but is not working.

I do understand that there is a terminal window in GUI. But my intention is to switch to the command line interface.

Need some guidelines here...i'm new to Linux...

Thanks.

Linux User
    I'm not sure if this the source of the problem but Ctrl-Alt-F7 is rather unfortunate if you have 6 terminals, i.e. the shortcut is used to take you back to XWindows (the GUI). Try pushing Ctrl-Alt-F1 .. Ctrl-Alt-F6, this should work.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

I don't know if I got this right but the problem is in your vmware session?!

I think only ALT+F1-F6 works, hitting CTRL+ALT just makes you leave you vmware session right?

Cheers

Jonas
    --
    in Linux Computing we Trust

Just Joined!
    Ctrl+alt+F1 ............... Ctrl+AltF6 are tty console from 1to 6 and You can back on Xwindows by pressing Alt+F7

Buy

Linux Enthusiast
    You could make it boot into text-mode only by default by opening an xterm, and editing /etc/inittab and changing:

id:5:initdefault

to:

id:3:initdefault

I am sure that is not right, but I don't have a SysVInit style machine handy. Either way, the initdefault, change it from 5 to 3. Then in the xterm, you can type 'telinit 3' to change to runlevel 3 automatically, turning off X.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Enthusiast
    You can switch from X to console by entering "init 3" in any terminal (like xterm), although I think you have to be root (just enter "su" and enter the password for root)
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    if I have fluxbox running in tty7, and then switch to tty6, for example, could I then start GNOME in tty6 while fluxbox is still running in tty7? That would be amazingly useful.

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't think you can run a GUI in consoles 1-6, but I did get two X sessions by running first the normal one, then running gdm on screen 1 (console 8 ).
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    try ctrl + backspace that should stop the X session and take you back to the command line then to restart your X session type in startx