Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently creating a VMware template that i need to make a number of copies of. Each deployed machine will be used by one user for a period of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using a single VNC screen on RHEL5

I am currently creating a VMware template that i need to make a number of copies of.

Each deployed machine will be used by one user for a period of time and then destroyed. The users are using ADS/Winbind to log in and are in a specific group in ADS. Their local accounts get created when they log in.

Some of these users will need to use a desktop. I want the user to be able to pull up the remote connection using VNC (or even MS RDC as they will be connecting from windows boxes), and that will either land them on the login splash, or if there is a local login, redirect them to that.

However from what i see, each user needs to enable vnc with a password once they are logged in to allow people to connect. I know that i can create multiple desktops eg root:1, bomahony:2 etc, but this userlist will be changing quite frequently, and this is not very practical.

What im looking for is advice on how to get one VNC window running, much like if you were RDCing to a XP box. Preferably with the current logged in users password, but if it has to be a standard password across all, that will be fine (security isnt a particular issue, as these machines are being used for testing purposes).

I cant seem to find any information on this. Anyone have any pointers.

Trusted Penguin
    Do you want maybe x11vnc? I used to use x0rfbserver back in the day, but apparently this has taken its place.

Just Joined!
    Got a chance to look at this this morning. Unfortunately, the terminal has to be logged in, and x11vnc run from a prompt. I want something that i can run before the terminal is logged in, so the user can choose what to log in as.

Just Joined!
    Turns out that everything i need is build into vncserver. I had never used it as the console screen, but adding to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    Section "Screen"
    Option "SecurityTypes" "VncAuth"
    Option "UserPasswdVerifier" "VncAuth"
    Option "PasswordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"

Section "Module"
    Load "vnc"
    EndSection

Allowed me to set it up.

However something i am not to concerned about. When i had vncserver active (rather than console), i had 3 servers in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers:
    VNCSERVERS="1:root 2:sde 3:nagios"
    VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1152x864"

On reboot, the root desktop worked, but the other two didnt start, with nothing in their respective log files. Once i ran service vncserver reload, they worked fine.

Any ideas?