Find the answer to your Linux question:
I upgraded an Intel Core 2 Duo system to the 64-bit version of Fedora 15, and now yum will not work properly. yum repolist Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit Error: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora with yum after upgrade

I upgraded an Intel Core 2 Duo system to the 64-bit version of Fedora 15, and now yum will not work properly.

yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

yum update
    Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
    What can be done to resolve these issues so that yum can update the system?

a) How exactly did you upgrade to fedora 15 64bit?
    b) does this machine have network and internet connectivity?
    c) What is the content of the files in /etc/yum.repos.d? (wrap in CODE tags, please)
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Also, what version of Fedora did you update from?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I was running Fedora 12. Because of problems initializing the Anaconda installer into the proper graphics mode during an upgrade, I could not upgrade using DVD's

I looked at using preupgrade, and ran into an issue with it. I don't remember what it was.

I performed my upgrades using yum. I upgraded from 12 to 13, and the 13 to 14, and finally 14 to 15. The system is relatively clean as I don't usually run Linux on it.

This machine does have network and Internet connectivity. It is the system I've been using to post these messages to this forum.

I cannot include the contents of the files in /etc/yum.repos.d because of this error:
    You are only allowed to post URLs (http, ftp, @) to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.

See this post for a few workarounds to that:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-user-faq.html

It may be something as simple as the @ sign in your command line prompt.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I think the error message is actually due to the fact that the contents of the *.repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d actually contain URL's in them, so the forum will not allow me to post their contents
    Last edited by tron_thomas; 08-04-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Just Joined!
    It looks like I was able to get things to work by added the following line to /etc/hosts:
    80.239.156.215 mirrors.fedoraproject.org

I don't know why this was necessary as I've never had to do this before, and I have 32-bit system I upgraded to Fedora 15 as well that doesn't need this entry so it can perform updates.