Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to install the drivers for my graphics card (NVIDIA 8400), and so first I needed the kernel source. I read that I only needed the source devel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GPU drivers and the source kernel

I've been trying to install the drivers for my graphics card (NVIDIA 8400), and so first I needed the kernel source. I read that I only needed the source devel package, so I installed that. The driver refuses to believe that it is installed (although the rpm insists it is). Do I need another or a different package for the driver to be happy?

Also, why does the driver try to connect to the internet and download the necessary files? How will that ever work in runlevel 3?

Linux Guru
    Google: how to install nvidia driver fedora 15

How will that ever work in runlevel 3?
    In RH/Fedora, runlevel 3 includes networking. (If necessary, the NIC control via Network Manager can be disabled.)

Just Joined!
    I was trying very hard to avoid using yum or rpm repositories. I have downloaded the driver and the source kernel through a browser. I would much prefer to do that, as I have a somewhat problematic internet connection and am far more comfortable going about it that way.

Runlevel 3 doesn't seem to support wireless for me, and that's all I have access to. It loses the connection when I enter 3 and I have no idea how to connect within 3.

Also, I have fedora 14, but there is an article on the same site as you linked for it, and it looks very similar.