Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, guys & Gals! This is my first posting on this forum... Being fairly new to Linux, I am currently running systems with Slackware 13.37 AND other machines with CentOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question "How (or WHERE and how) to set DEFAULT FILE MANAGER in CentOS 5.6 Fina

Hi, guys & Gals!

This is my first posting on this forum...

Being fairly new to Linux, I am currently running systems with Slackware 13.37 AND other machines with CentOS 5.6 Final. Here is my issue in a "nutshell":

On Slackware, there is a "settings" option that lets you select the DEFAULT APPLICATION to use as your preferred FILE MANAGER. I selected Konqueror quite easily for this purpose on my Slackware machine.

But, on CentOS, I have so far only found the place where you can select your preferred WEB BROWSER, EMAIL MANAGER and TERMINAL program. I do not know if (or WHERE) this is accomplished, or even if it is possible on CentOS. OR, is this done in the same way on all distros? I am really stuck here, as I do NOT like the default file manager of CentOS!

The answer to this question will probably lead me to a better understanding of the internals of Linux, which I am actively trying to discover via exploration.

Any help with this will be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Andre.
    (Z_Tagr, aka Andre R. Gagne, )

I never tried to switch the File Manager and you haven't said if you are running KDE or GNOME or something else.

Under KDE take a look at the Control Center under File Associations. Once there look at Media and switch what is listed there for one you prefer.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted