Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi -- I want to get a laptop on which I will run Fedora 12+ with some sort of a desktop environment (KDE). I really like the Toshibas but have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Laptop recommendations for Fedora 12+

Hi -- I want to get a laptop on which I will run Fedora 12+ with some sort of a desktop environment (KDE).

I really like the Toshibas but have heard newer ones are POS and that it's difficult or impossible to find Linux drivers for them.

So I was gonna ask for some recommendations. I am a Java developer who wants to get more into Linux even in my dev env and I will be doing work for my clients' projects on this laptop. So Eclipse IDE, MySql, Apache, Tomcat are some of the apps that I plan to have running. I would also like to have a decent graphical output for watching video etc.

Thanks in advance

Foampile

Just Joined!

Toshiba

Quote Originally Posted by foampile View Post
    Hi -- I want to get a laptop on which I will run Fedora 12+ with some sort of a desktop environment (KDE).

I really like the Toshibas but have heard newer ones are POS and that it's difficult or impossible to find Linux drivers for them.

So I was gonna ask for some recommendations. I am a Java developer who wants to get more into Linux even in my dev env and I will be doing work for my clients' projects on this laptop. So Eclipse IDE, MySql, Apache, Tomcat are some of the apps that I plan to have running. I would also like to have a decent graphical output for watching video etc.

Thanks in advance

Foampile
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C665 and I do not have any problems with Fedora. I have version 15 installed and all of the drivers were found. I can tell you I had Fedora 12 installed and that version would not even look at my wireless and had some screen issues.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome, foampile!

If you are going to run Linux, I'd recommend going with the latest release of your chosen distro if that's a workable option for you because you'll get much better hardware support. In the case of Fedora 12, it is going on 2 years old so you will not get the same level of built-in hardware support that you'll get with Fedora 15 that came out just a few months ago.

Do let us know what laptop you go with and how it all works out for you.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Welcome to LinuxForums!

I second what ozar said. Fedora 11 and 12 refused to provide me with a stable wireless connection, while Fedora 15 worked right out of the box.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.