Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Sorry for that, I dint get a bootable cd, i got only live cd. So no recue option. What did now is booted in using live cd, then mount the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sorry for that, I dint get a bootable cd, i got only live cd. So no recue option. What did now is booted in using live cd, then mount the file system (/) as rw, then installed grub to it.

grub-install --recheck --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/disc/sdb2 /sda

This installed grub but theres one more prob now.

I got 2 harddisks(160gb,500gb). Its a dell workstation.

The first one(sda) has
    sda1 -> dell utility
    sda2 -> linux/solaris swap
    sda3 -> linux
    something like that. I dunno what is that really.

But what i am using is the 2nd one(500gb)
    sdb1 -> windows (ntfs)
    sdb2 -> linux (bootable)

I installed grub on harddisk sdb(2ndone), but no use it was going to windows directly. Then i tried installing on sda (1st one), charm!! it showed my centOS options in boot menu!!!

But then came the next prob now, when i select the CentOS from the boot menu it says "cannot mount selected partition filesystem type unknown"
    . This is same for all the centOS versions. Quick answers plss..

Just Joined!
    SOLVED!!! I repeat SOLVED. Huh, this grub and bootloaders are so error prone.

The prob was in grub.conf, all the CentOS options were pointing to (hd1,2) sdb3, which is a non formated partition(raw filesystem) which i am not using. So i manually edited it to sdb2 and as well hd1,1 where i have my bootable linux sitting. That did the trick. Now its booting to CentOS properly. All done.

Thanks for your help guys.

Good shootin' there, Lou. Sounds like an enumeration issue, where the live CD named/numbered the disks differently than the hd install.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mvairavan View Post
    SOLVED!!! I repeat SOLVED. Huh, this grub and bootloaders are so error prone.
    The error was installing Windoze onto a Linux machine, you should always put Windoze on first as it insists on taking over your machine - best to let it do that before you've put anything of yours on it. Linux installs are generally cooperative, sometime M$ has yet to learn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2