Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have installed Win 2008 R2(different partition) on my CentOS machine, Seems Bill Gates wont allow me to boot into the CentOS. Now i want to boot into CentOS, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Cant boot into CentOS after installing windows

Hi,
    I have installed Win 2008 R2(different partition) on my CentOS machine, Seems Bill Gates wont allow me to boot into the CentOS.

Now i want to boot into CentOS, how can i do this from windows?
    Currently i dont have any linux live cd or usb, So can i achieve this from windows?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mvairavan; 08-12-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: solved

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Windows will always overwrite your bootloader with its own when it is installed after Linux, so you'll need to restore GRUB to your MBR. I'm not sure about any way to do that from within Windows because it's usually done with a liveCD or liveUSB device, or from a Linux install disk. Parted Magic or SuperGRUB can do it, but they are both run from liveCD/USB devices.
    oz

Just Joined!
    how to do that?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mvairavan View Post
    how to do that?
    You can check this HowTo for some instructions on restoring GRUB using your CentOS installation disk:

TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB - CentOS Wiki
    oz

Just Joined!
    Isn't there any way to do from linux?
    And finally now i got hold of a ubuntu live cd, so can i do that by booting into ubuntu?

oz
    forum.guy
    Isn't there any way to do from linux?
    And finally now i got hold of a ubuntu live cd, so can i do that by booting into ubuntu?
    The CentOS installation disk is Linux, as is the Parted Magic LiveCD. The SuperGRUB disk is made up of Linux files as well.

I'm not sure how well it might work from the Ubuntu installation disk, but you could try it to see what happens. If Ubuntu uses a different version of GRUB from what CentOS uses, you could run into some problems, though.

My opinion is that the CentOS installation disk is probably your best option out of all those mentioned.
    oz

Just Joined!
    sorry, Isn't there any way to do it from windows not linux?

Ok, I will wait until i get hold of a centOS live cd.

oz
    forum.guy
    sorry, Isn't there any way to do it from windows not linux?
    You can search google for boot linux using windows bootloader for some howto articles that will help you setup the Windows bootloader for booting into Linux if you want to do it that way, but doing so proves problematic for lots of Linux users based on the various help requests that I've seen on these forums and others. Still, a lot of dual-booters do it that way.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok now i have got a centOS live CD. I followed the steps mentioned in the wiki. But grub-install command says file not found in /usr/shar/($ARCH)/boot/stage1 . And in the /boot folder i have all boot.conf,stage1,stage2 and many other files too. Now where will be the these original images? What should i do now?

Ok now i have got a centOS live CD. I followed the steps mentioned in the wiki. But grub-install command says file not found in /usr/shar/($ARCH)/boot/stage1 . And in the /boot folder i have all boot.conf,stage1,stage2 and many other files too. Now where will be the these original images? What should i do now?
    That wiki doesn't say anything about using a CentOS live CD. You need to boot from the install CD/DVD as instructed in the wiki, using "linux rescue", and then "chroot /mnt/sysimage". grub-install will then find the files it needs.

After getting Centos bootable, you'll then find that you need to configure grub to dual boot Windows. Google is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast