Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, i have bought a new Toshiba Satellite C640-X4010 laptop. Its configuration is: core i5 2410M, 3GB RAM,500 GB HDD,On board intel HD graphics, 14" led display. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't Install Fedora 14 in Toshiba C640-X4010

Hi all,
    i have bought a new Toshiba Satellite C640-X4010 laptop.
    Its configuration is:
    core i5 2410M, 3GB RAM,500 GB HDD,On board intel HD graphics, 14" led display.
    I am currently running Fedora 15 in it.
    But i want to install fedora 14 in it. I have downloaded both i386 and x86_x64 iso dvds from the official site and also burned them in dvds. The dvd of fedora 14 boots n also the installer starts n goes upto the step "Loading anaconada 14.2 the fedora installer" and after that ,the screen goes black and also the dvd's rotating sound also stops nothing happens for a long time. I am dam sure that there is no problem with my dvd drive or the DVDs.
    Please help me..Its very very important for me to install fedora 14(it might seem to be very funny that a person while have already installed fedora 15 why want to step down to 14.... but there r few personal reasons for that.!)

Any help will be highly appreciable..
    Thanks in advance..

I remember having some issues with getting F14 installed on a Compaq desktop, with similar symptoms. I kept fooling with the BIOS options and finally got it installed. I think it was one of the USB settings that finally did it, something that didn't seem at all related to what was going on. May not help you, but you never know.

I'm guessing you want to go back to F14 because of Gnome3 and all of the functionality it dumps for some glitzy effects. Or is it something else?

Trusted Penguin
    You could also trying passing " text" to the installer at boot time, to tell it not to use the graphical installer, if it is a video issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    I remember having some issues with getting F14 installed on a Compaq desktop, with similar symptoms. I kept fooling with the BIOS options and finally got it installed. I think it was one of the USB settings that finally did it, something that didn't seem at all related to what was going on. May not help you, but you never know.

I'm guessing you want to go back to F14 because of Gnome3 and all of the functionality it dumps for some glitzy effects. Or is it something else?
    Yes u got the main reason that is for Gnome 3 and all of the functionality it dumps for some glitzy effects..lol
    If u get any reliable solution for my problem then plzz inform me as soon as possible...thanks..

Trusted Penguin
    You can tell Gnome 3 to not use the new interface:

Click your username in the top-right corner
    Click System Settings
    Click System Info
    Click Graphics
    Turn Forced Fallback Mode to ON
    Log out and log back in

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    You could also trying passing " text" to the installer at boot time, to tell it not to use the graphical installer, if it is a video issue...
    I don't think so that i am suffering from any video issue...but i will still give a try to ur text method also.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Would you be interested in leaving all of your internal hard drive available just for Windows?

If that's the case, then I have a suggestion for you. Why not install Linux on a 1TB external USB hard drive? Install the boot manager on the external hard drive. Grub will create the necessary menu choices for booting up either Windows, or any Linux distro(s) you may have on the USB hard drive, and you don't even have to unplug the external hard drive to boot and run Windows.

This way, it leaves your internal hard totally untouched. And if you want to take Linux with you, since it runs off your USB power system, the hard drive can fit into your breast pocket. If you unplug it, then Windows will run normally, not missing a beat. If one of your drives goes bad, since two distros are on different HD's, you can still continue your work on the good HD. This, you can't do if you install two different distros on the same hard drive, and it becomes corrupt.