Find the answer to your Linux question:
BIG PROBLEM i have a really big problem i want to connect my pendrive to the the virtual machine ,vm is created on RHEL6 integrated virtualization i.e. usin g kvm. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Connecting pendrive to virtual machine in RHEL6

BIG PROBLEM
    i have a really big problem i want to connect my pendrive to the the virtual machine ,vm is created on RHEL6 integrated virtualization i.e. usin g kvm.
    pls help me

Trusted Penguin
    USB pass-through is not officially supported by libvirtd yet (I think), though it is possible.

This walk-through explains what you need to do. Note that you might have problems if your pen drive is "pure USB 2.0" and not 1.x compatible. I had such a problem anyway ("Operation not permitted", etc.).

Just Joined!
    not working for me dude any other suggestion ..
    another how can we connect cd drive of host machine to virtual machine....

Trusted Penguin
    re: no luck with USB, sorry, I don't know what else to suggest, if you're stuck with KVM. If this is really important, have you tried VirtualBox as an alternative virtual machine solution?

As for CDROM, that is also documented on libvirt's online documentation.

Just Joined!

I had the same problem

Hi dear uses I had the same problem .
    I sugest do a Ftp server or an nfs share share the pendrive

or upload all the stuff on nfs or ftp

what ever you need to do

to mount the pendrive to the virtual machine
    you will be crying bro...

i sugest this

help ever hurt never

Just Joined!
    Switch to Bridged Networking. That way, your VM will be treated like just another machine in the network and you will be able to access your VM via its ip address. Once you get your VM recognized by its ip address, you can use various methods of file sharing via tcp/ip protocol.
    Further, you can copy contents of the pen drive to the hdd of the host and mark that folder as shared. Hope this helps.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is one of the reasons why I have stuck with VBox, much as I dislike Oracle's behavior lately, simply because KVM does not support decent USB pass-thru, which VBox does. I can run my bluetooth dongle, access USB drives of any description, do iPhone specific stuff with iToons, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!