Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't boot to Fedora after clean install over upgrade

I have a MacBook Pro 5,1 and by using a boot loader called rEFIt I've been able to boot the system between Mac OS X, Fedora Linux (64-bit), and Windows 7.

I recently tried to upgrade my Linux installation to Fedora 15. The upgrade had some problems so, I decided to do a clean installation. I told the installation process to install over the previous version o Fedora.

Now when I go to boot the system, I get a new option in the boot loader in addition to the original three options I had before. If I select the original option I used to boot into Linux, I get this error message:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

If I select the new option (called Boot EFI\redhat\grub.efi from EFI) I get a grub prompt. I do not know what to do at this prompt that would allow me to boot into the newly installed Fedora system.

What can be done so I can properly boot into Linux from the boot loader on this system?

Linux Guru
    On your previous installation of Fedora, did you have a separate /boot partition? Did you install Fedora 15 to the same partitions you had for your earlier versions of Fedora? Do you now have a separate /boot partition for Fedora? Did you install Grub to the Fedora /boot or / partition?

I'm not sure if I had a separate /boot partition on the previous installation. I'm guessing I did not. I do not know if the new installation was made to the same location as the previous location. During the installation process, I selected the option that said to install over the original version. I don't know if the new installation partitioned things differently then they had been before. I did not do anything special to install grub. I assumed the installation would configure grub.

How can I determine the way my new installation is partitioned?
    How can I determine where Grub might be installed?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Sorry, I can't answer your questions. You are using the Mac bootloader to access Fedora and I've never used a Mac. You are able to boot your MacBook Pro, correct? I would thing you have some utility like fdisk to get partition information.

I can boot into Mac OS X. I suspect I can also still boot into Windows, only I have not tried that. It appears that my version of Mac OS X (10.6. does come with fdistk. However, I suspect the diskutil command is probably more appropriate for this system. Here is the output I get when I run diskutil list:

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 106.5 GB disk0s2
    3: EFI 524.3 MB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 106.7 GB disk0s4
    5: Linux LVM 106.2 GB disk0s5

Linux Guru
    Your output from the Mac shows a Linux LVM partition but no separate boot partition. I'm not familiar with the Mac utility so I don't know what that means.

If you still have the Fedora Live CD, run the fdisk -l(lower case Letter L in the command) from a terminal logged in as root. Post that output.

Unfortunately, the live CD did not work for me. Even though the computer was able to boot from the drive, Fedora would not run, and I was left with a garbled screen.

Linux Guru
    Is this the same Fedora CD you used to install? Strange that it suddenly stopped working. Anyhow, I have no other suggestions since I'm totally unfamiliar with Macs. Good luck with it.

I burnt a DVD of the full Fedora installation, not just the limited live installation. I had to run the setup in a basic video mode to get the installer to work. If I tried the normal way of running the installation it would fail to initialize the hardware properly. I think a similar problem with video hardware initialization occurs when running the live version. I am going to see if I can get the live version of a different distribution to run on the system. Hopefully I can execute a command that will be able to explain how the system is set up.