Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed the Fedora 15 GNOME 3 edition. Sometimes, after using Fedora for around 20 minutes, my OS freezes. nothing works. I have performed all the updates by it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation My Fedora 15 freezes!

I have installed the Fedora 15 GNOME 3 edition. Sometimes, after using Fedora for around 20 minutes, my OS freezes. nothing works. I have performed all the updates by it doesn't quite help. What would be the best solution?

Just Joined!
    in most of the cases when your PC just freezes this is a hardware problem.

Try performing some RAM tests or changing different parts of hardware until you find what exactly is freezing your PC

Also, try other distros, sometimes one distro just doesn't like particular machines or hardware. Be sure to check the MD5sums of the downloaded ISO file before you burn it to disk and check the burned CD/DVD for errors when you boot it up also. Did you check these things before you installed Fedora? If you're lucky the whole problem could be a corrupt download or bad burn.
    Click the link in my signature for info on MD5sum checks and good tips on burning CD/DVD's.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanna83 View Post
    in most of the cases when your PC just freezes this is a hardware problem.

Try performing some RAM tests or changing different parts of hardware until you find what exactly is freezing your PC

I have Windows 7 & Fedora 15 dual booted. With 7 there's absolutely no problems.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Also, try other distros, sometimes one distro just doesn't like particular machines or hardware. Be sure to check the MD5sums of the downloaded ISO file before you burn it to disk and check the burned CD/DVD for errors when you boot it up also. Did you check these things before you installed Fedora? If you're lucky the whole problem could be a corrupt download or bad burn.
    Click the link in my signature for info on MD5sum checks and good tips on burning CD/DVD's.
    No I didn't check for any MD5 checksums. I used Fedora 14..all the problems started after upgrading to 15..plus the bland GNOME 3 sucks man! I will be going back to using 14. thanks man for your help .

Hard to fault your choice. I'm running F15 on my main personal laptop, and have found it so odd that I've left all the other machines in the house at F14. Gnome3 is an odd beast, gave up a lot of functionality for a little glitz. Bluetooth started breaking after suspend/resume just this weekend, and I use a bluetooth mouse. Options in pulldown menus inexplicably change, then change back. I've not experienced flat out freezes though.

Just Joined!
    For what it's worth, I recently purchased a new box to replace my two ageing F10 boxes, intending to install F15. The installation of F15 proceeded smoothly, but shutdown usually resulted in automatic reboot! I raised a thread on the Fedora forums about this, and it appears that other F15 users have experienced this problem. But no solution. I solved the problem by installing F14 instead - the auto-reboot issue went away. It's not a hardware problem.

I would have gone back to F14, anyway, even if my new box did not have the auto reboot issue. That GNOME 3 interface is just appalling!