Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am attending college and have taken a distance learning class for Unix/Linux. The Book they provided me has two disks with red hat 7.3 I need to install. this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

beginner question about 64 bit

I am attending college and have taken a distance learning class for Unix/Linux. The Book they provided me has two disks with red hat 7.3 I need to install. this is apparently a old version 2002. I have a 2-64 bit amd turion laptops. can I use one of these to install these disks?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dcampbell2 View Post
    I am attending college and have taken a distance learning class for Unix/Linux. The Book they provided me has two disks with red hat 7.3 I need to install. this is apparently a old version 2002. I have a 2-64 bit amd turion laptops. can I use one of these to install these disks?
    Hello and welcome!

32-bit Linux will work on 64-bit machines, but I wouldn't recommend installing such an old release of Red Hat on them because version 7.3 is no longer supported and you'll likely have lots of driver issues if you can get it working at all. I'd recommend asking the instructor if installing a newer version of Red Hat or some alternative distribution is permissible. Scientific and CentOS are both forks of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so one of them might work better for you if allowed.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ok, I contacted my instructor and he said they provided a server for each individual. I am definitely taking the book back. the book without Cds is like 40 dollars cheaper and I am cheap! Thanks for the response. see you all again soon.