Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Cron job doesn't work

Hi,

I have created a cron job using gnome-schedule in fedora 13 server to get backups of the mysql database.
    but the thing is the sh file runs when execute it manually; but when it is run through the gnome-schedule program or editing the crontab file using 'crontab -e' command it doesn't ??????

the same thing I did for another fedora 13 server some time ago and it runs perfectly

I did every thing that I can ( allowing cron related options in SE Linux etc)

the sh file resides in the home folder /home/user1/backup.sh and is given chmod +x permission

help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Amitha

Show the contents of this command, so we can see exactly what cron is trying to run:
    Code:
    crontab -l
    Also, check out cron's log, typically:

/var/log/cron

It is usually very helpful to redirect the output of your cronjob to a temporary log file, e.g.:

Code:
    * * * * * /home/user/script.sh > /tmp/script.log 2>&1

Dear atreyu,

Thanks so much for your reply. when I execute crontab -l command I got the following results

0 15 * * * /home/user1/backup.sh # JOB_ID_1
    then I logged as root and execute the cron job in root GUI, to my elation it worked once. but when I change the time and reschedule the cronjob it didn't work
    finally I tried Webmin it is working fine with Webmin. the latest crontab -l output which work in the normal user account(in webmin) as follows

5,22 14 * * * /home/user1/backup.sh #BackupJob
    Thanks

Amitha
    Last edited by amithad; 08-25-2011 at 04:25 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close