Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Fedora 14 (Gnome desktop) and I can't seem to find any reference to my issue or I'm having trouble figuring out what to search for. Using both Firefox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

web browser new windows open location

I'm using Fedora 14 (Gnome desktop) and I can't seem to find any reference to my issue or I'm having trouble figuring out what to search for.

Using both Firefox and Google Chrome, when you open a new window for either of the applications it always opens it in the upper left hand corner. This makes no sense! In Windows, neither browser does this. They open relative to the parent window (slightly to the right and down).

Is this normal behavior? How can a make it work correctly (relative to the parent window).

I'm trying really hard to like Fedora (and Linux in general) while using the GUI but I'm finding it extremely tough to do so.

I've seen behaviour like this before when Desktop Effects were turned on without suitable video drivers - it seems to hand off window placement to the Compiz layer. Turn off desktop effects (it's under the Preferences menu somewhere) and see if that improves matters.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I found the Desktop Effects dialog window but it was already turned off. I switched to KDE to see if it was desktop dependent but KDE has a similarly annoying behavior. In KDE it opens new windows in the four corners sequentially.

Ok, so then I decided maybe it will get 'fixed' if I upgrade to Fedora 15. Nope. Didn't change anything.

I just don't get it! Any other suggestions to try?