Find the answer to your Linux question:
Quick question if I wanted to disable automatic updates on my Fedora machines so the students don't brick the computers how would I accomplish this? Note: I do not want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disabling Automatic Updates

Quick question if I wanted to disable automatic updates on my Fedora machines so the students don't brick the computers how would I accomplish this?

Note: I do not want yum to check or download the packages automatically, I wish to do this during scheduled maintenance

Thanks
    Grimm

YUM updates need to be run with root password so if your students have root access you cannot stop them from running updates.

To disabling automatic updates you need to look at your cron and yum-updatesd.

Check cron to see if you have anything setup to rum yum automaticly and stop it.

yum-updatesd is a demon that checks for updates and does what it was configured to do in /etc/yum.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Most updates can be applied without the root password. Sometimes a dependency needs to be downloaded and this is when the root password is needed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    a more barbaric way would to just change the permissions on the yum binary to 700, this will not allow execution to anyone except root