Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I do my best to contribute, and from time to time I'll make a suggestion based on the last 11 - 12 years or so I've been "using" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm back again!

Hello everyone,

I do my best to contribute, and from time to time I'll make a suggestion based on the last 11 - 12 years or so I've been "using" Linux. Boy, I wish I had never even met a PC or even a VMS box, but it's too late now!

Anyway, I've been fighting with this thing what seems like forever. In my home dir, there is a file/dir(?) that I have no idea what to do with. Personally, I think it's disk corruption, but with Linux you never really know sometimes. It tends to show up in the GUI, and then looks like an empty dir. If I change to it, there is nothing there.

The shell is another story though. I tried Midnight Commander (probably my favorite file manager and I can barely get through a prompt session without), but it won't let me do a THING. No CD, no delete, no chown or chmod, nothing! It's listed like this:

Code:
    d??????????   ? ?      ?           ?            ? .gvfs
    I even tried deleting it through X, but that just gives a permission error. I can be root and still not touch it. It's so bizarre, and I don't think it's hurting anything else, but really annoying in listings.

Has anyone any experience with this? Will I have to go down to the disk level to get rid of it, and SHOULD I? At this point, I just had to at least ask, it's making me nuts!!

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    I'm not really familiar with Fedora but, googling

.gvfs permission denied fedora
    got a lot of hits, mostly like this:

.gvfs permission denied - FedoraForum.org

Boot up any LiveCD, delete the file with su - or sudo privileges.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I believe I'll try the live CD thing, I'd just hate to delete it and then find out it's being used by the system or something!

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Hmm, I just got to looking around, and I (as root) checked the other user dir's. They all contain a .gvfs folder, but theirs are accessible and act just like any regular, empty dir. Then I went to Fedora's site and looked around some. Apparently it is from some package but I'm still not sure what exactly it does. For now, I'll experiment around some, like logging in as a different user and looking at them then. If the user I'm logged in as seems to have the same thing going on, I'll have to research it even more before I delete it. I should have thought to do that yesterday!