Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have custom hardware running on a PCI backplane with an SBC running Fedora 5. This has been running in a factory environment for years. Unfortunately, the SBC has been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Converting custom PCI driver from Fedora 5 to Fedora 14

I have custom hardware running on a PCI backplane with an SBC running Fedora 5. This has been running in a factory environment for years. Unfortunately, the SBC has been EOL, so I must convert to a new SBC running Fedora 14. The driver for this hardware was also custom, and I have been able to get it to compile and load on the new system. It links to the new hardware, and sees the bars as described by the firmware on the board. Unfortunately, I can't seem to configure the driver for writes/reads. I can read the read/write parameters from the driver (the default values from initialization), so I can access the driver, but whenever I try to write to the next_read or next_write parameters file, nothing happens. The file remains unchanged. The permissions are correct for the parameters file, but I'm wondering if there is some kind of access problem because I seem to have to be SU for many operations that I didn't have to be in Fedora 5 (like build the driver). My experience with Fedora 14 is very limited. Any ideas with what might have changed from Fedora 5 to Fedora 14 or things I could try would be appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Between FC5 and FC14, there were some significant kernel API changes that you need to take into consideration. I suspect that your driver will require some more significant changes in order to function properly in the new environment.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!