Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have changed the boot sequence to boot from CD. There is Fedora currently installed on my PC and want to install Fedora 15. My desktop wont boot from LiveCd, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop wont boot from CD

I have changed the boot sequence to boot from CD. There is Fedora currently installed on my PC and want to install Fedora 15. My desktop wont boot from LiveCd, I have tried it on another machine running win 7 and it boots from CD, so Im thinking the Iso image is on the CD correctly, but why cant it boot on the Desktp. Were can the problem be?

So you were able to change the boot order, as you were trying to do in this thread?
    Are you able to boot any other LiveCDs on this computer?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Yes thanks, I changed the priority to enabled.

Well, I cannot boot any LiveCd from this computer. Wat can be the problem?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Not sure what you mean by "Enabled". There should be a list available, similar to this:
    Attachment 3749
    If the boot order is set correctly, and the disc works on other computers, then I would begin to suspect an issue with the drive.
    Is the optical drive on this computer functional?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Ok, how will i test that the optical drive is Ok. Im not sure, but is there something I need to do with th jumpers on the Cd?

Linux Guru
    When you first boot your computer, you should see a screen similar to the one jayd512 posted. At the bottom of the screen, it should tell you which key to press to enter setup. You should be able to change the device which is set to first boot priorty. If your computer was built after 1998, you should be able to boot from a CD.

Information on the manufacturer of the computer should help.
    If you are able to boot the CD in another computer, then it is probably not the CD but rather that you do not have the CD drive set to first boot priority or your drive is bad.

If you have another bootable CD, you could test with that to see if it boots. Otherwise, you could download another Linux Live/Install CD from your Fedora 14 such as Slitaz or Puppy which are small downloads and try to boot from them.

Just Joined!
    Tried all that, i think i should replace the CD rom.

Linux Guru
    If you have tried other bootable CDs in your machine and they fail also, it is probably a bad CD drive. You might try cleaning it and checking the cables and make sure they are plugged in correctly.