Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need to create script which will shut down rhel6 workstations if it is not used for 30min for that i need a command which will give me system idle ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help !!!! Needed to find system idle time

i need to create script which will shut down rhel6 workstations if it is not used for 30min for that i need a command which will give me system idle time i.e. that time in which system has not received any mouse or keyboard interrupts.
    i think gnome desktop is also doing same thing, if keyboard/mouse interrupts is not received for some time screen will be locked.

its really urgent. !!!!

Trusted Penguin
    well, you can just run a loop and check for the elapsed time of the screensaver (if/when it is found running), e.g. (untested):

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    while :; do
      pid=$(/sbin/pidof gnome-screensaver)
      if [ $? -eq 0 -a -n "$pid" ]; then
        etime=$(ps -o etime --no-heading -p $pid)
        echo "Screensaver (pid $pid) is running, elapsed time: $etime"
      fi
      sleep 1
    done
    However long gnome-session is running would be saved to the etime variable. then you parse it and shut down after whatever time limit you want.

but i think this solution would only work if someone was logged onto the desktop first (and had a screensaver configured to run), versus the computer just sitting at the graphical login prompt. but maybe that's what you want...