Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently installed an audio player, XMMS, onto my laptop with Fedora 12 OS, since no other media players would work. So far, it will play one song, which is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Audio player for Fedora 12

I recently installed an audio player, XMMS, onto my laptop with Fedora 12 OS, since no other media players would work. So far, it will play one song, which is more than the other ones would do. It's the only song that's in .wav format, although idk why it's in that format nor do I remember putting it in that format. The other media players(Audacious, Audacious2, Banshee Media Player, BMPx, Decibel Music Player, Exaile Music Player, Kaffeine, Muine Music Player, Whaaw! Music Player, Rhythmbox Music Player)all just wouldn't play. Some said something about not having the right codecs or plugins, others just went through the songs in a millisecond of no sound. I tried to find the right codec plugin thingies(I'm not a geek, bear with me) but I couldn't find them. If someone could explain what I need to do in a really simple way, it would be much appreciated.

P.S. It took me forever to figure out how to get Fedora 12 on here, so please don't tell me I need to upgrade to Fedora 15 or 16 or whichever's the newest.

P.P.S. Example of one of the error messages, from Whaaw! Media Player:
    " Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.

gstdecodebin2.c(2449): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstPlayBin2layer/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin2:decodebin20:
    no suitable plugins found "

*a smilie accidentally pops up in the middle of the error message on here, I guess that spot is colon closing parenthesis.
    Please and thank you.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ferniferousfern View Post
    *a smilie accidentally pops up in the middle of the error message on here, I guess that spot is colon closing parenthesis.
    Hello

You can edit your post if you want, and choose the Go Advanced editor button, then check the checkbox that say "disable smilies in text" so that the smilie doesn't show up in your message.
    oz

Hi there!

First, I have to say it... You will eventually want to upgrade to a newer version of Fedora. both 12 and 13 have reached EOL, so will not receive any new security patches/updates.
    That being said, first have you enabled the RPMFusion software repo? It has alot of the codecs that you might be missing. See this page for the correct steps.

Then, the little extras for xmms: Personal Fedora 12 Installation Guide
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    warning: /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.43higQ: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 signature: NOKEY, key ID a3780952
    error: Failed dependencies:
    system-release >= 13 is needed by rpmfusion-free-release-13-4.noarch

Looks like they've taken Fedora 12 software off of the reference list.
    You'll be able to get the software from these pages:
    RepoView: RPM Fusion (Fedora - free - released) 12 (i386)
    RepoView: RPM Fusion (Fedora - nonfree - released) 12 (i386)
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I downloaded the rpm thingy, nothing changed.

After downloading both of them, you'll need to install using the rpm command. You can probably try it like so:
    Code:
    rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/12/Everything/i386/os/rpmfusion-free-release-12-1.noarch.rpm
    rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/releases/12/Everything/i386/os/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-12-1.noarch.rpm
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    It told me that it opened with package installer, but I tried the "rpm -ivh" thing and got this error message: curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'download1.rpmfusion.org'

Did you use the exact command? Just copy/paste it into a terminal.
    You need to be root to do so.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Did you use the exact command? Just copy/paste it into a terminal.
    You need to be root to do so.
    Yes, I was root user, and yes, I copy and pasted the command.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast