Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool Cant create a folder in samba folder due to pemission

Hi all.

I am running Federa 8. I have samba users on my network and have samba folders created. I have created the following in the smb.conf file.

[usr]
    comment = users
    path = / usr
    security mask=0770
    create director=0770
    create mask=0755
    writtable = yes
    browsable = yes

My problem is, i cannot create a new folder in this usr folder, it says access denied. My persmission looks like this

drwxrwsrwx root root usr

Why cant samba users write to this folder. I want all the samba users to write to this folder.

Please help?

Quote Originally Posted by ndaka123488 View Post
    Hi all.

I am running Federa 8. I have samba users on my network and have samba folders created. I have created the following in the smb.conf file.

[usr]
    comment = users
    path = / usr
    security mask=0770
    create director=0770
    create mask=0755
    writtable = yes
    browsable = yes

My problem is, i cannot create a new folder in this usr folder, it says access denied. My persmission looks like this

drwxrwsrwx root root usr

Why cant samba users write to this folder. I want all the samba users to write to this folder.

Please help?
    check /etc/samba/smbusers.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I'm just curious why would you want your users to write in /usr? Isn't it root owend?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    in the etc/samba/smbuser file there is currently only two users, root and administrator

Can I change that smbuser file?

Should I add all the samba users to that file?

I am actually trying to change usr1 sorry, Wen I try and create a folder in usr1 (shared) it says, i dont not have permissions to do that. Why?

smb.conf is perfectly configured
    usr1/ has 755 permissions on it.

Im not sure about the group/ owner of my samba users and that were my problem is.

Help

you have "writtable" in your smb.conf, is that a typo? It should be "writable"...

there is also a space in your path, "/ usr" - there should be no space, also as someone mentioned, you're not *really* sharing /usr, right?

There are other ways to do this, but I would also explicitly add a 'valid users = ' line to your usr share, containing the name of a samba user you've set up, e.g.:
    Code:
    smbpasswd -a YourSmbUser
    Then in your defined user share, you'd have something like:

Code:
    [usr]
      comment = whatever
      path = wherever
      writable = yes
      valid users = YourSmbUser
    If you're using user auth, then I believe the samba user has to exist as a system user, too (i.e., in /etc/passwd).

EDIT: and chown the /usr1 or whatever directory to be owned by the YourSmbUser user/group.