Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there guys. I am a novice at Linux and I have a friend who is an intermediate at it. I have been looking into starting an ISP here in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Starting an ISP with servers for mail and hosting

Hi there guys.

I am a novice at Linux and I have a friend who is an intermediate at it. I have been looking into starting an ISP here in South Africa and have found a reseller option and to me that isn't enough because people are still getting ripped off with wandwidth options. I can't do anything about line rental because that all is owned by one company Telkom. Cutting the story short, I would like to attempt setting up my own ISP server, with mail and web hosting for websites. I would like to know how to configure mail, DNS, DHCP, Samba,FTP, NFS, SSH server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if someone could assist me on the best hardware I could use to run the servers.

Regards

Just Joined!
    Hi,

There are plenty of howtos on the internet. Just search for dhcp, samba or nfs

For web hosting I suggest getting a control panel. Payed ones are Plesk or cPanel. Free ones are ispcp and virtualmin.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a million

Just Joined!
    What do you think of ISPConfig 3?

Just Joined!
    I don't like it. I prefer Virtualmin, you will get much more support for it and much more functionality