Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux so i apologize if I don't know the proper names for some of the features I'm about to ask about... At work we have a Solaris ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux GUI Server

I'm new to linux so i apologize if I don't know the proper names for some of the features I'm about to ask about...

At work we have a Solaris machine that we can log into with X-Deep32 (windows to solaris) and have our own desktops and usernames. I want to setup our Linux RH system to work in a similar manner where I can setup usernames and have users log in remotely to have their own desktop environment. (windows to linux if possible).

Is there a guide out there or a term I can google to help me try and set this up.

Thanks!

Check out Xming. It's an X-Windows server layered over the putty ssh client (X reverses the traditional client-server terminology).

Linux Newbie
    Many years since I used the method but I found it a great help in managing a number of Solaris partitions at once. I just needed to switch to desktops :1 - :11 (CTRL-ALT-F8 to F11) where I had specified what desktops the sessions were to come up.
    http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Un...dHatLinux.shtm.

Made life easier not having to log off one and on to another, also nice to be able to switch easily to check on another partition.

Re-read the thread again, the URL above allows you to set up a server as well so you can gain remote access.
    Vncserver is another method you can use.
    Last edited by Siddly; 09-21-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddly View Post
    Many years since I used the method but I found it a great help in managing a number of Solaris partitions at once. I just needed to switch to desktops :1 - :11 (CTRL-ALT-F8 to F11) where I had specified what desktops the sessions were to come up.
    Configuring XDMCP and GDM on Red Hat Linux.

Made life easier not having to log off one and on to another, also nice to be able to switch easily to check on another partition.
    Truncated URL. FTFY.

Just Joined!

also have a look at openNX

I have used this for Linux - Linux and Windows - Linux (also works with OS X).

You need freeNX for the "server" (not reversed) end.

Just spend a little time googling...