Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Maxtor 80GB USB drive that I am trying to access under Fedora 2.0. I went through the installation process by way of the Wiley book on Fedora. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB harddrive installation/access

I have a Maxtor 80GB USB drive that I am trying to access under Fedora 2.0. I went through the installation process by way of the Wiley book on Fedora. I want to achieve 2 things. First, I would like to know how to see if Fedora has already recognized my drive and if so, how do I display and access the files on it. Second, if it isn't recognized, how do I set it up and then display and access the files on it?
    All help would be greatly appreciated!

First, plug the drive in. Then do a 'cat /var/log/messages' (as superuser). If Fedora's default kernel can drive the USB disk, you will see something about it. Here is what mine looks like:

Code:
    Dec  7 13:00:45 [kernel] usb 2-1.2: new full speed USB device using address 7
    Dec  7 13:00:45 [kernel] scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Dec  7 13:00:45 [kernel]   Vendor: LEXAR     Model: JUMPDRIVE         Rev: 1.20
    Dec  7 13:00:45 [kernel] SCSI device sda: 251904 512-byte hdwr sectors (129 MB)
    Dec  7 13:00:45 [scsi.agent] disk at /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:1.0/host2/2:0:0:0
    It's a USB flash drive, but they're handled the same way. If you see something like this, mount it (as root).

Code:
    mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
    You'll have to mkdir /mnt/usb and may have to change sda to suid your needs (as the kernel assigns the device). If you have any more questions (or if Fedora doesn't see the drive) let us know.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

USB Harddrive problems

Thanks for the help. I did a cat /var/log/messages and for todays date I saw this:
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using addre ss 3
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage de vices
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: Vendor: WDC WD25 Model: 00JB-00EVA0 R ev: 15.0
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: Type: Direct-Access A NSI SCSI revision: 02
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: 488397169 512-byte hdwr secto rs (250059 MB)
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: sda:SCSI error : <1 0 0 0> return code = 0x80 00002
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: Current sda: sense key No Sense
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 488397 168
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 488397168
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: SCSI error : <1 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: Current sda: sense key No Sense
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 488397 168
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 488397168
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: sda1
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost scsi.agent[26149]: disk at /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00 :1d.7/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/host1/1:0:0:0
    Dec 7 19:31:33 localhost kernel: Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

I can't tell if it recognized it or not because it gave errors concerning the scsi device..
    When I tried to mount it using your instructions, I received this message:

mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel
    I believe the usb drive is formatted with ntfs if that's what it's telling me. Thanks again for all of your help and patience.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try 'modprobe ntfs'. If that doesn't work, you'll have to compile ntfs support into your kernel or as a kernel module.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

USB harddrive problems

I typed modprobe ntfs and command not found returned. Is a recompile of the kernal to support ntfs or adding it as a module difficult? I'm thinking of starting over and repartioning my harddrive to give a piece of it Windows XP with ntfs and the other half to Fedora. A far as my usb goes, I can't do that since the drive I'm trying to recognize has all of my 190gb of mp3's.

Just Joined!

update

ntfs in linux is often not worth the issues. There can be some stable and easy to use NTFS functionality. At the end of the day I would recommend using a different partitioning system.

I am currently using my system with Fat 32 (20gb drive) usb2 and the performance is ok works on both. As the file systems get larger stear well clear of FAT * file systems.

There are now ways (if your only using the usb functionality on your own systems) to use linux file systems in linux. It DOES work well though and there are less issues than using NTFS in linux.

hope that helps..

Linux Engineer
    I do to have a few MP3 that I am not willing to lose. So I understand your situation here. Recomplilling of a Kernel (one that will have NTFS conpatibility), isnt hard at all. I would even says, its pretty easy. If you only need Read access to that USB drive, NTFS can be an excellent choice if you are working in a cross platform environment. If you need further help on compiling a newer version of your kernel, make a search on this forum and "how-to", and you will find the appropriate answers
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux User

Re: USB harddrive problems

Quote Originally Posted by Toesup
    I typed modprobe ntfs and command not found returned. Is a recompile of the kernal to support ntfs or adding it as a module difficult? I'm thinking of starting over and repartioning my harddrive to give a piece of it Windows XP with ntfs and the other half to Fedora. A far as my usb goes, I can't do that since the drive I'm trying to recognize has all of my 190gb of mp3's.
    You don't need to recompile the kernel.
    The pre-compiled driver is available in RPM format for download.
    Just install the RPM as usual and off you go
    Get it from http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html
    Make sure you download the RPM compiled for your kernel version (you can check it with the command "uname -r").
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Linux Engineer
    See... its easy to compile manually... You even have an RPM if you need even more simpleness! :P
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps