Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a ZiO! compaq flashcard reader, so I figured I could just load the usb-storage module as it contains support for the ZiO readers, but no new devices show ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

USB flashcard issue

I have a ZiO! compaq flashcard reader, so I figured I could just load the usb-storage module as it contains support for the ZiO readers, but no new devices show up (although the kernel does detect the reader), and I can't figure out how to access it.
    If anyone knows how to solve this, please help.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

did you try mounting it manually?
    Code:
    su -
    mkdir /mnt/flash
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
    -lakerdonald

Linux Enthusiast
    That's the problem- no new devices even show up, so there's nothing to mount. However, I do know the kernel can detect it, and it works on other (windows) systems.
    I have an internel SCSI drive (/dev/sda) so I figured the flashcard would show up as /dev/sdb

Linux Engineer
    Does it shows up in here : System Tools > Hardware Browser > Hard Drives?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Enthusiast
    No, although it does show up in the USB devices section, just not as an actual accessible drive.
    And I'm sure the card in the reader works, as I've used it numerous times in other readers. I only recently got this reader because I lost the other one, which did work on Linux just fine.

Linux Enthusiast

USB Flash Card

Where did you look to confirm that it was not detected. Try looking in the /proc logs, there should be a directory named usb, the device should appear directly below the usb port or hub that it is attached to, and referenced by name. If it is there try mounting it. On my system, linux does not recognize the device untill I mount it. Make sure that you use /dev/sda1(/sda is your hard drive) rather than using /udev.