Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Turning off GRO on startup

So i have a system that is on two different networks. Each NIC is on its own subset etc.

I was seeing a huge amount of issues with one of them, and it turned out it had:
    generic-receive-offload: on

Once i turned this off with "ethtool -K eth1 gro off", everything is working fine. HOWEVER when i reboot, it gets re-enabled.

Is there a way to turn this off on startup?

[I do realise i can turn it off by adding to rc.local, i am just wondering if there is a "cleaner" method]

Have you tried putting them in the appropriate ifcfg config file? e.g.

# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    ETHTOOL_OPTS="gro off"
    That is untested, but I think that is where it would go.
    Last edited by atreyu; 11-21-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: off!

Doesnt seem to be working. However I cant reboot this system until 30th December, so im testing on another machine by trying to turn GRO on at boot using "gro on".

4. $spacer_open
    Does that device on the other machine take the "gro on" command from the command line okay? Probably so, just checking...

Okay, seems using ethtool with -K type options in network-scripts is a bug.

There is a patch listed on the bug report that would allow you to do something like:

But you'd have to keep track of that file and make sure that updates to the package that own the patched file(s) don't get overwritten.

Or you could make it a udev rule like is suggested in the bug report...

Yeah - checked that before i rebooted

Giving it a look now. To be honest, I will probably go with the entry to rc.local. I dont get to patch these machines. Ever. They have to be used with specific RHEL version, specific drivers, kernels etc.

Thanks for all your help mate!

Yeah, I understand that. Just keep in mind that putting it in rc.local might only affect it upon start-up, i.e., do you know if that change is persistent across network restarts?

e.g., if you do:

service network restart
    Is gro stilll off?

Like i said, I am working with gro "on" in a VM for testing purposes (same version of RHEL etc).

Added to rc.local, it started with it on. When i ran "service network restart" it stayed on. I would rather get the patch in place, but this will do until my next downtime at a pinch.

And realistically, i dont get to run service network restart. Ever. I never get to do anything on the systems outside downtime (they are in use 24/7 and i get maybe 4 downtimes a year)

Sorry, "on"...I lost track of which way you wanted it.

The only reason I mentioned network restarts is in case they ever get restarted w/o your say-so, but if you've tested it, then sounds like you're golden.