Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
As to why the 2.6.18 kernel is not booting, it is hard to tell without having the kernel output to look at, and it sounds like you're not seeing anything. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

As to why the 2.6.18 kernel is not booting, it is hard to tell without having the kernel output to look at, and it sounds like you're not seeing anything. It could be related to process or memory selections in the kernel (configured during "make config"). If you have "vga=xxxx" in there, you can try replacing it with "vga=normal nomodeset" and reboot.

However, instead of trying to get that working, take a look at this bugzilla entry. Your model DVD is mentioned there. Some work-arounds are mentioned. One is to install Fedora 8 and boot with the kernel parameter:

Code:
    libata.dma=1
    All the kernel parameters are listed here.

Just Joined!
    unfortunately I tried almost all distro with Kernel newer than 2.6.18 and none worked All Fedora releases, Ubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSuse etc. This evening (here in Italy) i'll try some of the workaround mentioned, but i'm not expert and i'm not sure to be able to reproduce all the workaround, but i'll try.

Trusted Penguin
    Here is a link referenced in the bug that lists specific Fedora work-arounds.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    i tried:

1)Try pci=nomsi,nommconf. This disables PCI Message Signaled Interrupts and MMCONFIG.
    2)Try booting with libata.dma=1 [use DMA only for hard drives] or libata.dma=0 [do not use DMA at all] . This can at least get the system installed, then the drivers can be updated.
    3)Try the boot option pci=nocrs on 2.6.34 and later kernels.

but nothing

Trusted Penguin
    What kernel did you try 1) and 2) on? Is downloading the Fedora 8 ISO and burning it to DVD a possibility? I only ask b/c some people suffering from the bug reported success when using it in conjunction with 1) or 2).

Have you tried looking in the BIOS for anything related to IDE/ATA that could be the culprit?

Just Joined!
    i tried it with the new kernel. Now i try to use 1) and 2) together, if doesn't work, i try to boot a livecd of Fedora 8.
    what do you mean with "b/c"?

Trusted Penguin
    b/c = because

Just Joined!
    i make some mistake and the system becames unusable. I can't explain how. So i formatted and installed Centos 5: confirm that the dvd recorder works with kernel 2.6.18. Now i'm trying Xubuntu. I've installed the kernel 3.1.4 correctly. Works fine.

In the configuration menu before compiling the kernel i 've activated all the "ATAPI" drivers i found. (my dvd recorder is atapi.) They were flagged as "DEPRECATED", MAYBE IS IT THE PROBLEM? Compiled and installed but dvd recorder seems to be still undetected.

Trusted Penguin
    Okay, how about using the 2.6.18 kernel source RPM from CentOS 5 and rebuilding it on your new system (whatever it is - shouldn't matter as long as you have all the recompiling tools there).

You can get the latest updated kernel for 5.7 here:

http://vault.centos.org/5.7/updates/....1.el5.src.rpm

Now extract the source files from it with rpm2cpio (you will probably need to install it for your distro):
    Code:
    rpm2cpio < kernel-2.6.18-274.3.1.el5.src.rpm >kernel-2.6.18-274.3.1.el5.src.cpio
    Now uncompress the cpio to a new dir:
    Code:
    mkdir ./kernel-2.6.18
    cd ./kernel-2.6.18
    cpio -idv < ../kernel-2.6.18-274.3.1.el5.src.cpio
    The kernel source tarball itself (linux-2.6.18.4.tar.bz2) will be in that dir, along with all the patches that CentOS applied to the baseline. You can look at the spec file, kernel.spec (or read up on patch), to see how the patches were applied - first untar the kernel source, then apply the patches, then configure/make the kernel as normal. Just be sure to use the appropriate kernel config file that is also in that dir, kernel-2.6.18-*.config, for your baseline config. You'll want to copy it to a file named '.config' located in the root directory of your kernel build dir.

Hopefully this might be helpful, unless you have already tried it.
    7.5.1. What If the IDE CD-ROM Was Not Found?
    If you have an IDE (ATAPI) DVD/CD-ROM but the installation program fails to find it and asks you what type of DVD/CD-ROM drive you have, try the following boot command. Restart the installation, and at the boot: prompt enter linux hdX=cdrom. Replace X with one of the following letters, depending on the interface the unit is connected to, and whether it is configured as master or slave (also known as primary and secondary):

a first IDE controller, master
    b first IDE controller, slave
    c second IDE controller, master
    d second IDE controller, slave
    7.5.*Installing from DVD/CD-ROM
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast