Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by MikeTbob Hopefully this might be helpful, unless you have already tried it. 7.5.*Installing from DVD/CD-ROM That's a good suggestion, definitely try that first. I remember having to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hopefully this might be helpful, unless you have already tried it.

7.5.*Installing from DVD/CD-ROM
    That's a good suggestion, definitely try that first. I remember having to do that, back in the day.

Just Joined!
    the system doesn't detect the DVD writer.
    In CentOS 5 the dvd writer is
    Code:
    /dev/hdb
    . if i undestrand correctly the file suggest to boot with a "link" on /dev/hd* (/dev/hdb in my case) but i don't have any hd*. This said, will i try to boot "linking" on /dev/hdb though i don't have any /dev/hd* device?

I might not have understood, in this case can you explain me in a simpler way? Thanks

EDIT: i see in the configuration menu before compile the kernel ( make menuconfig) that it's possible to use old configurations. It's possible to extract the configuration of the Centos 5 2.6.18 kernel and load it on the new kernel? How can i extract the configuration of the centos' kernel?
    Last edited by Enry211; 12-04-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Enry211 View Post
    the system doesn't detect the DVD writer.
    In CentOS 5 the dvd writer is
    Code:
    /dev/hdb
    . if i undestrand correctly the file suggest to boot with a "link" on /dev/hd* (/dev/hdb in my case) but i don't have any hd*. This said, will i try to boot "linking" on /dev/hdb though i don't have any /dev/hd* device?
    The udev daemon is supposed to take care of creating block devices for you "on the fly"...but if that is not the case, you can create it yourself (as root):
    Code:
    mknod /dev/hdb b 3 64
    Some distros come with a script, /sbin/MAKEDEV. You would cd into /dev and do:
    Code:
    /sbin/MAKEDEV hdb
    but the first command should be all you need.

EDIT: i see in the configuration menu before compile the kernel ( make menuconfig) that it's possible to use old configurations. It's possible to extract the configuration of the Centos 5 2.6.18 kernel and load it on the new kernel? How can i extract the configuration of the centos' kernel?
    You can get it from the source RPM as in my previous instructions, or get it from the binary RPM, too, e.g.:
    Code:
    wget http://vault.centos.org/5.6/os/i386/CentOS/kernel-2.6.18-238.el5.i686.rpm
    rpm2cpio < kernel-2.6.18-238.el5.i686.rpm > kernel-2.6.18-238.el5.i686.cpio
    mkdir kernel-2.6.18
    cd kernel-2.6.18
    cpio -idv < ../kernel-2.6.18-238.el5.i686.cpio
    ls -l boot/config-2.6.18-238.el5
    cp boot/config-2.6.18-238.el5 /path/to/new/kernel-2.6.18/.config

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3