Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I have a dual boot system set up with RedHat9 and XP but, surprisingly(irony), windows is bogged down with too many things, and it's very slow. So, I intend ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Locking boot settings

Hello!

I have a dual boot system set up with RedHat9 and XP but, surprisingly(irony), windows is bogged down with too many things, and it's very slow. So, I intend to apply the uniersal solution to all windows based problems: format C: \u . However, Windows has the nasty habit of erasing the boot sector and re-writing it to it's licking. Needless to say, it will gleefully omit Linux from the boot options

So, not wanting to have to reconfigue GRUB (I use grub) I wanted to know if there was any way to prevent windows from erasing my current boot settings.

My current knowlage of the matter would say that it is not possible, and that if it was, windows wouldn't install, aborting with a error. However, I am hoping that there is a way....

Thanks

p.s: sorry for spelling mistakes....english is gettin' rusty

Just Joined!
    You could install grub to the linux partition superblock, instead of the MBR. This way windows would re-write your MBR, and all youd have to do after installation is set the linux partition active again (windows will also make it's partition active I think) and away you go!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip...I'll try that