Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I recently bought a new Graphics Card (Nvidia GTX 570) replacing my Radeon HD 6850. However i'm having problems getting the display settings to work how i would like. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Nvidia Driver Settings: Extended Display Help

Hey,
    I recently bought a new Graphics Card (Nvidia GTX 570) replacing my Radeon HD 6850. However i'm having problems getting the display settings to work how i would like.

Previously i had an extended display over 2 monitors, with the main desktop (i.e. Panels on 1 screen) and the other monitor blank except for the desktop background.

I've installed latest driver (from Nvidia) and it all works fine. I configure the nvidia driver to have monitor 0 as 1920X1080 and monitor 1 as 1650x1024, right of monitor 0.

If using separate X screens i get the two screens like intended, but both monitors have the panels like a main display, but no compiz. If i enable twinview i get dual screen with compiz but again both monitors are treated as the main display (i.e. panels appear on both). If Xinerama is enabled on either of the above, i 1 big screen like i want with the panels on the main display but no compiz or desktop switcher. All settings also only give one mouse for both monitors.

Some help would be great, Xorg.config can be given if necessary.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you using the built-in nVidia driver (nv or nouveau), or did you install the proprietary driver downloaded from nVidia?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!