Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good Morning, I'm trying to mount a Windows share on my Linux machine; however, this isn't working the way I'd like. I'm using the following command: mount -t cifs //windows/share ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting a Windows Network Share

Good Morning,

I'm trying to mount a Windows share on my Linux machine; however, this isn't working the way I'd like.

I'm using the following command:
    mount -t cifs //windows/share //mnt/linuxfolder -o username=xxxxx,pasword=xxxxx

I've setup a samba user and have specified my domain account, all works fine and I can access this share.

I now need to set this up to a server that isn't on our domain using a local user. I've again created the samba user and specified the windows login account, however, I get error 13 permission denied.
    I tried adding the server name before the username but I still get the same error message.
    I've tried chaing the permissions on Samba i.e. from share to user etc but still no luck. The password for this account is not using any special characters, which I even tested by pointing to a credentials file.

There appears to be some form of communication as the local account is being locked out. I am definitely using the correct password.

The share is on Windows Server 2008.

It seems I can only map a windows share if I am using a domain account.

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can try to define the local account by giving the windows hostname of the server as the domain/workgroup
    From your example:
    Code:
    mount -t cifs -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx,workgroup=windows //windows/share /mnt/linuxfolder
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!

Thank you for responding, but I've already tried that and receive the same error.

EUIITOPS

Hmm, is dns and/or nmbd working?
    Aka: does linux have a chance to resolve the server "windows"?

For a short test, you could use the IP instead of the servername.
    Also: Does the connect work natively from another windows box?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!

I am able to resolve to this server using both IP Address and hostname, but in all my tests so far I have just used IP Address.

I've tried connecting to other windows shares, and as mentioned before I can only connect using a domain account and not local user.

Thanks
    Euiitops

Just Joined!
    try this it should work
    mount -t cifs -o username=domainname\\xxxxx,password=xxxxx //windows/share /mnt/linuxfolder