Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I need to back up an old FC4 linux. Trying to do so with an external hard-drive, but I don't have NTFS installed. Tried to download the neccessary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't find NTFS kernel for FC4 2.6.11

Hello All,

I need to back up an old FC4 linux. Trying to do so with an external hard-drive, but I don't have NTFS installed. Tried to download the neccessary kernel but all links seem to lead nowhere. Does anyone have a copy or know where I can download one? The file I need is:

kernel 2.6.11-1369-fc4smp

Thanks
    Jazmin

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Why are you trying to do it this way? You can boot any current Linux live CD/DVD/USB drive and backup system drives, even those with NTFS, to an external drive. Is the external drive using an NTFS file system?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Sorry..Yes, the external drive is using an NTFS file system

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. I would recommend that you reformat it to use Ext4 or similar Linux journaled file system, unless you have to also use the drive to backup Windows volumes. In such a case, backup your Linux data to a tar file on the NTFS volume. Current kernels have built-in NTFS drivers that should allow read+write access to the drive. If not, you can install the ntfs-3g driver and tools temporarily even on a running live CD/DVD/USB system so you can do the backup. I have done this a number of times in the past, without problems, such as when I would be recovering a client's system from a virus infection.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!