Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Issue with rpmbuild

I've reciently installed RH enterprise on two new HP blade servers. They have two 10gig Ethernet ports on each that I must install the supplied HP drivers to be able to use. The source rpm installs very quickly (seems to just transfer files to a specific location).

My issue is when I try to use the rpmbuild command it errors out referring to bldreqs. I've done several hours on google but to no avail thus far. My access is limited due to these interfaces being my connection out. Sort of a revolving circle I can't overcome.

Sorry for my limited knowledge of what I'm doing. I'm working from HP installations and have never had to build an rpm from a source file.

> [hostname tmp]# rpm -ivh hp-be2net-4.0.359.0-2.src.rpm
    > 1:hp-be2net ###########################################
    > [100%]
    > [united_hostname tmp]# rpmbuild -ba --target i686
    > /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/hp-benet.kmp.spec
    > Building target platforms: i686
    > Building for target i686
    > error: line 51: Dependency tokens must begin with alpha-numeric, '_' or
    > '/': BuildRequires: %kernel_module_package_buildreqs
    > [united_hostname tmp]#
    >
    >

Can anyone give any advise to get me going here? Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    No binary RPM's available? In any case, rpmbuild is used to build binary rpms from source. You can also build the binaries without using rpmbuild. It sounds like you need to do some reading about building sources like this. Anyway, go to the rpmbuild SOURCES directory. There you will find a tarball such as "something.tar.bz2" or "something.tar.gz" or "something.tgz". These are the source files that you need to build. Expand the tarball, and cd into the directory. You should then find something like a configure script that will configure the make files for your platform. After that, you can build the driver or whatever with the "make" command, and install it with "sudo make install". If you don't have sudo privileges on your system, you will need to be logged in as root to install the driver.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!