Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Athlon 1.4 RAM: 512MB FedoraCore2 On booting the PC it hangs on "Checking for new hardware" for quite long time, at least 3~4 minutes. Finally it proceeds further ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Hanging on - Checking for new hardware, during booting PC

Hi folks,

Athlon 1.4
    RAM: 512MB
    FedoraCore2

On booting the PC it hangs on "Checking for new hardware" for quite long time, at least 3~4 minutes. Finally it proceeds further with the PC started up without problem. This phenomenon did happen occasionally in the past.

Kindly advise how to check its cause and get it fixed. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Enthusiast
    I have a similar problem, but for me it's not really fixable. I have a SCSI host PCI card, and the driver always loads slow, both when Linux is booting and when the BIOS is loading.
    My point is, if it works, I wouldn't complain too much. It's likely something with your hardware that isn't really possible to fix without getting new hardware.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Guru
    Hi Stormblazer,

Your comment noted with thanks

B.R.
    satimis

Just Joined!
    It could just be that the hardware detection (kudzu) is finding a piece of h/w that it can't idenify.

You could try changing /etc/sysconfig/kudzu to set a "safe" scan by saying safe=yes which skips serial port, DDC monitor checks and PS2 scans to see if that helps (man kudzu for more help), Or if you don't routinely add or remove hardware and everything is working OK you could just 'chkconfig kudzu off' as root which will stop the check for new h/w on boot. ('chkconfig kudzu on' to turn it back on).

Also if you check dmesg and /var/log/messages just after bootup there may be warnings or errors which would help you determine what causes the pause.

Hope that helps

Spook