Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I want to block all kind of online music. I have configured squid proxy server for that on my centos 5 machine. Can anyone tell me how to block ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Block online music

Hello,
    I want to block all kind of online music. I have configured squid proxy server for that on my centos 5 machine. Can anyone tell me how to block online music.

Thanks,
    Vinod

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Huh? You would have to block all music domains and URL's, which in effect is impossible. Tell me why you want/need to do this?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    We do not want our employees to listen to online music at the office time which affects the productivity of a company. That is why we want to block all kind of online music.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry, without seriously impacting your normal operations, this is just not possible, nor (IMHO) desirable! I work for a Fortune 50 company, and we don't do this. We allow our users to play music while they work, provided it doesn't interfere with their duties. In our experience, it actually enhances the productivity of most users. In fact, we provide good headphones to all employees. If they get a VOIP call when playing music, their systems are configured to mute (or idle) the music while they handle the call.

Just Joined!
    Every company has its own rules and regulations, which has to be respected by everyone. If our company doesn't want something to be happen at its campus, then it should be respected..If you have solution of my query then do reply...

What you will need to do is find out what port they are streaming on. Once you have that you will need to setup a firewall rule to block that port. You also need to do your diligence and ensure that you are not blocking anything else that is required by the company.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Well, the only way to do this is via deep packet inspection tools that can tell when an audio stream is being accessed. However, that will also block legitimate audio streams. Alternatively, you can blacklist sites that stream music and/or videos (YouTube) at the firewall level. Again, difficult and costly. You really should have (or probably do) a clear terms of use, and that violations will be dealt with accordingly. Personally, I think you are p!ssing up a rope on this one...

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by vndpundir2007 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to block online music.
    Hello

If blocking it entirely should turn out to be too difficult or impractical in your case, would removing all media player software along with any speakers and headphone jacks work for you? I can't imagine anyone wanting to bother with streaming any music they can't listen to. Just a thought...
    oz