Results 1 to 2 of 2
Hi All, Multipath devices do not show up. Multipath Setup on RHEL 5.7, Promise E310Sd Disk Array and LSI HBA Dual Port SAS Host Bus Adapter SAS9200-8e. I first built ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 01-31-2012 #1
- Join Date
- Jun 2006
Multipath Does Not Create The Devices
Multipath devices do not show up.
Multipath Setup on RHEL 5.7, Promise E310Sd Disk Array and LSI HBA Dual Port SAS Host Bus Adapter SAS9200-8e.
I first built a test server, Dell 2950 RHEL 5.7 box and connected everything just to practice setting everything up before moving the Disk Array and HBA to the production server and connecting to RHEL 5.7 Linux Cluster.
I got everything setup and running fine. Mounted and formatted the Array, copied lage data sets to it to test performance and moved Home directories to it as well. After I finished testing I deleted all the data off the device and moved Disk Array and HBA to the RHEL 5.7 Cluster on a production box.
Now the setup in the on the production box I'm using the same multipath.conf file from the working setup. Installed the rpm for the HBA Card. The multipathd service is setup to run after a reboot and is currently running.
"According to Redhat DM Multipath Document : The devices in /dev/mapper are created early in the boot process.
Use these devices to access the multipathed devices, for example when creating logical volumes." The documentation also says if the devices are not there use multipath to create them, with no explanation on how to do that.
There are no mpath0, mpath1 etc. devices in /dev/mapper directory or any other /dev/ location.
<Produces no info>
<Produces no info>
This command does show the blacklisted devices and shows /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc which are the devices associated with the two ports of the HBA card. /dev/sda is the servers raid, that is why it is blacklisted.
sdb: not found in pathvec
sdb: mask = 0x1f
sdb: bus = 1
sdb: dev_t = 8:16
sdb: size = 19531246080
sdb: vendor = Promise
sdb: product = VTrak E310s
sdb: rev = 0336
sdb: h:b:t:l = 1:0:0:0
sdb: serial = 495345200000000000000000FF053FD01914BE16
sdb: path checker = readsector0 (controller setting)
sdb: checker timeout = 60000 ms (sysfs setting)
sdb: state = 2
sdb: getuid = /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n (controller setting)
sdb: uid = 222de0001556456e3 (callout)
sdb: getprio = NULL (internal default)
sdb: prio = 1
sdc: not found in pathvec
sdc: mask = 0x1f
sdc: bus = 1
sdc: dev_t = 8:32
sdc: size = 19531246080
sdc: vendor = Promise
sdc: product = VTrak E310s
sdc: rev = 0336
sdc: h:b:t:l = 1:0:1:0
sdc: serial = 495345200000000000000000FF053FD01914BE16
sdc: path checker = readsector0 (controller setting)
sdc: checker timeout = 60000 ms (sysfs setting)
sdc: state = 2
sdc: getuid = /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n (controller setting)
sdc: uid = 222de0001556456e3 (callout)
sdc: getprio = NULL (internal default)
sdc: prio = 1
sdd: not found in pathvec
sdd: mask = 0x1f
sdd: bus = 1
sdd: dev_t = 8:48
===== paths list =====
uuid hcil dev dev_t pri dm_st chk_st vend/prod/rev
5:0:0:0 sdb 8:16 0 [undef][faulty] Promise,VTrak E310s
5:0:1:0 sdc 8:32 0 [undef][faulty] Promise,VTrak E310s
getuid_callout "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
path_selector "round-robin 0"
features "1 queue_if_no_path"
product_blacklist "VTrack V-LUN"
Any ideas how to make the devices show up would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by gunnerjoe; 01-31-2012 at 04:40 PM.
- 02-20-2012 #2
- Join Date
- Jun 2006
I found the fix and it has to do with blocking external ports such as USB devices from being mounted and seems to work very well against all external block devices, including my shinny new Promise VTrak 310s
This is from Test server:
[root@sadl25210 rules.d]# pwd
[root@sadl25210 rules.d]# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 10 12:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jan 10 12:44 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 515 Jun 1 2011 05-udev-early.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 948 Aug 4 2011 40-multipath.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16732 Jun 1 2011 50-udev.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 471 Jun 1 2011 51-hotplug.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 58016 Oct 13 2006 60-libsane.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 143 Jun 7 2011 60-net.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1088 Jul 17 2006 60-pcmcia.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 316 Sep 22 2010 60-raw.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9366 Jun 14 2011 60-wacom.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129 Jun 14 2011 61-uinput-stddev.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 214 Jun 14 2011 61-uinput-wacom.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1823 Sep 18 2008 85-pcscd_ccid.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 114 Aug 28 2008 90-alsa.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 61 Jun 1 2011 90-dm.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82 Nov 4 2010 90-hal.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 107 Jun 1 2011 95-pam-console.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 292 Apr 28 2011 98-kexec.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2319 Jul 9 2008 bluetooth.rules
On the production server there is also a file called 07-disable.rules, which disables all external block devices.
Commented that out and rebooted and now it is creating the devices.
Well that is many hours of my life I won’t get back.