Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, there is an objective in RHCSA about updating a kernel i am practicing it on linux beta version redhat linux beta - 2.6.32-19.el6.i686 now there is stable release ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to update kernel?

Hi all,

there is an objective in RHCSA about updating a kernel

i am practicing it on linux beta version

redhat linux beta - 2.6.32-19.el6.i686

now there is stable release kernel available i.e 3.2.2 at kernel.org

question is?
    is it possible to update current kernel?
    is it possible to do it with RPM command?
    is there any RPM version of kernel available?
    i dont want to install new kernel i need to update existing kernel?

are there step by step guide available to do update.

there is no ofcourse subscription to RHN.

and i need to update the kernel?

Regards,
    parkar
    UAE

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    One of the issues with updating kernels that are significantly newer than the distribution supports (2.6.32 vs. 3.2) is that a lot of other stuff will need to be updated also, since interfaces between the system and kernel may have changes (and have in this example). That means you need to update just about everything else as well, to a version compatible with the new kernel. In any case, the question is, why do you think you need to do this?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by parkarnoor View Post
    is it possible to update current kernel?
    Yes, but probably not how you want.

is it possible to do it with RPM command?
    RHEL provides their kernels as an RPM package. Typically, you would install it via yum (which uses rpm behind the scenes), but of course, you need a valid RHN login to have access to this updated package.

is there any RPM version of kernel available?
    Not for this version of the kernel, no. You can go here:
    https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-6-errata.html
    to see the list of updated packages available (for RHEL 6 in this case). you can simply search the page for kernel. Doing that, you can see that the latest updated kernel available is 2.6.32-220.4.1

i dont want to install new kernel i need to update existing kernel?
    I would definitely always install the new kernel, versus updating the existing kernel. you always want to have something that you know works, to fall back on, when things go south. check out the installonlypkgs option that goes in yum.conf.

are there step by step guide available to do update.

there is no ofcourse subscription to RHN.

and i need to update the kernel?
    If you need to update the RHEL kernel, you need a RHN subscription. You could download and install the updated kernel from the software repos of a binary compatible OS (like CentOS or ScientificLinux), but that is not recommended (break glass sort of thing).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You could get the more current Fedora kernels by downloading the rpm from their mirror sites. That still won't get you to the latest, for which you will need to get the sources out of the Linux Foundation's git tree, and build from scratch. Again, as I said before, this is going to break a lot of stuff! I have to ask you, why do you want to do this? Is it for experimental purposes? If so, then install a more compatible version in a virtual machine, and build/run the newest kernels there. Do NOT mung with a working (soon to be non-working) system!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    When installing kernels I highly recommend using rpm.

once you have the kernel:
    rpm -Uvh kernel... to update it

Normally, I wouldn't advise to "upgrade" a kernel. It's best to just install the kernel with rpm -i, and make sure grub is pointing to the version you want in /etc/grub.conf

If yum ever mucks up a kernel install due to interruption, whatever, and causes a kernel panic after restart. Go into grub, boot to the previous kernel to get back into the system. and then rpm -e the mucked up kernel, and re-install.