Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Thunderbird

I have tried to install thunderbird using the add remove software in Fedora 16. Release 3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64. Also this is on a Toshiba satellite p775-s7320 laptop. When I chose the apply button I get this error. The backend exited unexpectedly. This is a serious error as the spawned backend did not complete the pending transaction. I even closed out the add and remove and reopened it and still does the same thing. I have not had any troubles with any software on this machine except this. Should I be thinking of a fresh install with this error. Many thanks to all that can help.

"Add/Remove Software" in F16 runs gpk-application, which is a frontend to Packagekit API, which is a frontend, in this context, to yum. It's hard to say from the information you're being given by gpk-application where the backend failure is. A fresh install might correct whatever it is, but it's a drastic step and a shot in the dark.

I'd suggest that you open a terminal and do "sudo yum install thunderbird". If that succeeds, you're good to go with Thunderbird, and can troubleshoot your gpk-application issue further with other packages later, or continue to use the yum command line fallback when you have a failure like this. If yum doesn't succeed, post what yum tells you, and we can help with the yum failure.