Find the answer to your Linux question:
It's a long story but essentially I needed to upgrade the existing glibc 2.5 on our remote FC6 server to v2.8. I downloaded the following rpms: i) glibc-common-2.8-3.i386.rpm ii) glibc-2.8-3.i686.rpm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

URGENT FC6 Issue: Cannot login after botched attempt to update glib

It's a long story but essentially I needed to upgrade the existing glibc 2.5 on our remote FC6 server to v2.8. I downloaded the following rpms:

i) glibc-common-2.8-3.i386.rpm
    ii) glibc-2.8-3.i686.rpm
    iii) glibc-headers-2.8-3.i386.rpm
    iv) glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386.rpm

and su as root to execute the command "rpm -Uvh glibc*.rpm" to upgrade the libs.

The first three rpms upgrade were successful, but the last one glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386.rpm failed due to some errors when unpacking the archive. Turned out the package was corrupted.

That's easy enough I think. I'll just redownload the package. So, I exited from root to my non-privileged user and did just that.

However, when I tried to su as root again, somehow the OS no longer recognized the password. In fact, none of the user password seems to work .
    I tried to open another ssh session to the server, but the same thing happened. Invalid password .

I'm totally locked out from the server. The server is in a data center miles away and I won't be able to gain physical access to it easily.

I guess my botched glibc update attempt may have something to do with this predicament. Nevertheless, I'm hoping someone in this forum could offer some clues/explanation or even ways for me to resolve this issue.

I still have a non-privileged user session open to the server, which I've kept open before I encountered this issue. But I doubt that will help much since I believe to fix this (if it's fixable) will require root access.

Really appreciate some help here. Thanks!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is all after the Titanic sank, but the glibc library is essential for running Linux systems. In the future, before you do an out-of-band update of such libraries, you should make a bit-image backup of your system disc. Then, realize that doing what you did will also impact many other applications and libraries, in that the updated packages may NOT be compatible! At this time, you are fubar until you restore compatible libraries to your system from an external source.

1. When doing this sort of update, first verify that this will not cause a major version conflict.
    2. When doing this sort of update, first make a bit-image backup of the system disc(s) so you can restore the previous system image if sh!t happens.
    3. See items 1 and 2.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!